distutils for non-python windows installers

Brian Elmegaard

Hi,

I can find a few questions regarding the use of distutils for making
non-python windows installers, but none of them really helps. Are
there any pointers on how to do this? Can it be done?

A little OT: What about making MSI installation files instead of .exe?
Is it a good idea to consider at all?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Brian said:
I can find a few questions regarding the use of distutils for making
non-python windows installers, but none of them really helps. Are
there any pointers on how to do this? Can it be done?

To my knowledge, the answer is no. The resulting installer will look
for an existing Python installation on the target machine, and refuse
to operate if none can be found.

Of course, you have the complete source code of that installer
(including the code to the user interface), so you can adjust
it to your needs.
A little OT: What about making MSI installation files instead of .exe?
Is it a good idea to consider at all?

I would always recommend creating MSI files over some proprietary .exe
installers, as it allows for better customization, unattended
installation, and network installations.

If you want to do that using Python, please have a look at my Python
installer in the Tools/msi directory of Python 2.4b1.

Regards,
Martin

David Fraser

Martin said:
I would always recommend creating MSI files over some proprietary .exe
installers, as it allows for better customization, unattended
installation, and network installations.

If you want to do that using Python, please have a look at my Python
installer in the Tools/msi directory of Python 2.4b1.

I've meant to look into this but haven't had a chance
Is it possible to use this to create msi installers for python modules?
Is there a distutils plugin to do this?
If so, :) :) :) !

David

?

David said:
I've meant to look into this but haven't had a chance
Is it possible to use this to create msi installers for python modules?

Certainly. The tricky part would be to find out where the Python
installation is, if this is going to be in the spirit of bdist_wininst.
This might require a custom action.
Is there a distutils plugin to do this?

Not yet, but I hope to write one some day.

Regards,
Martin