Distutils help needed!

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Roth, May 7, 2004.

  1. John Roth

    John Roth Guest

    I'm trying to put together a distribution for Python
    FIT 0.4a1 (the first version I'm actually distributing),
    and distutils is giving me a slight problem. It seems
    to be building OK and both the manifest file and the
    ..zip file have all the right directories and contents.
    The install seems to work and it's putting the fit
    directory in the right place, but the result is missing
    directories that don't contain at least one Python module.
    (and one directory that does contain a Python
    module, but it doesn't contain a __init__.py -
    the module is a script, not something to import.)

    This is on Windows. Here's the setup.py file:

    # Distutils setup file.

    from distutils.core import setup

    setup(name="PyFIT",
    version="0.4a1",
    packages = ["fit", "fit/fat", "fit/tests", "fit/eg", "fit/eg.music"],
    # XXX eg.net when update
    author = "Ward Cunningham",
    author_email = "",
    maintainer = "John Roth",
    maintainer_email = "",
    url = "fit.c2.com",
    description = "Python language port of FIT",
    long_description =
    """ FIT is an acceptance test package originally written in Java
    by Ward Cunningham and ported to Python by Simon Michael. This
    version brings the code up to the latest Java version on
    fit.c2.com, and also includes changes for and interfaces to
    Object Mentor's Fitnesse package
    """,
    )

    and here's the MANIFEST.in file:

    global-include *.htm *.html *.gif *.jpg *.txt

    Another question. Ward is the author of the original
    Java version of FIT; should I be refering to him as
    the author, Simon Michael (who did the original Python
    port), or myself, who has done a lot of work trying to
    make it a useful Python facility? What's the general
    tradition here?

    John Roth, May 7, 2004

  2. John Roth

    John Roth Guest

    I got a response by e-mail that suggested I look at
    either scripts or data_files. Somehow when I read
    the doc, data_files went right by without making
    an impression! I'll try that next. Scripts, on the
    other hand, produced an error and I had to remove
    it for the install to work at all.

    And I'm now puzzled about why manifest.in
    even exists. If you have to name every file in
    the setup script, it seems awfully redundant.

    BTW - responses in e-mail will not always reach
    me. Everything, and I mean everything, from newsgroups
    goes directly to my trash folder, does not pass go,
    does not get whitelisted or anything else. If I throw
    out the trash without looking, it isn't there.

    John Roth

    "John Roth" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to put together a distribution for Python
    > FIT 0.4a1 (the first version I'm actually distributing),
    > and distutils is giving me a slight problem. It seems
    > to be building OK and both the manifest file and the
    > .zip file have all the right directories and contents.
    > The install seems to work and it's putting the fit
    > directory in the right place, but the result is missing
    > directories that don't contain at least one Python module.
    > (and one directory that does contain a Python
    > module, but it doesn't contain a __init__.py -
    > the module is a script, not something to import.)

    [snip the rest]

    John Roth, May 8, 2004