distutils: renaming setup.py ok?

Anastasios Hatzis

I want to distribute Python site-packages. Is it okay to use other setup
file names than setup.py, which is mentioned in any place I read in the doc?

E.g., setupMySDK.py, setupMyLib.py

It seems that it works with distutils at least - but probably doing so
has side-effects with other tools which may expect exactly "setup.py" as
file name.

Many thanks,
Anastasios

Benjamin Niemann

Hello,

Anastasios said:
I want to distribute Python site-packages. Is it okay to use other setup
file names than setup.py, which is mentioned in any place I read in the
doc?

E.g., setupMySDK.py, setupMyLib.py

It seems that it works with distutils at least - but probably doing so
has side-effects with other tools which may expect exactly "setup.py" as
file name.

I'd say, it's mostly the user who is expecting "setup.py" as the filename.

Perhaps 'setup.py --install-sdk' and 'setup.py --install-lib' would be more
approriate (which can be done with distutils).

HTH

Anastasios Hatzis

Hello

Benjamin said:
Hello,

I'd say, it's mostly the user who is expecting "setup.py" as the filename.

Perhaps 'setup.py --install-sdk' and 'setup.py --install-lib' would be more
approriate (which can be done with distutils).

Thank you for this hint. I think it will help.

Regards,
Anastasios