    size? As it is, a div box is unable to know how large an image is.

    Thanks for any clues.

    -- Gnarlie
    Gnarlodious, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Gnarlodious

    Els Guest

    Gnarlodious wrote:

    > Is there a way to "float" text around a div box the way it can float around
    > an image?

    yes, and it works exactly the same way. Give the div box a width and
    float it like you would an image.

    > Also, trying to get away from tables. I want to put a caption under an image
    > inside the aforementioned div box ,
    > Is there a way to make a box around the image say, with 1em of margin larger
    > than the image? Or do I need to force the box to explicitly be a certain
    > size? As it is, a div box is unable to know how large an image is.

    True. But why would you need to have a 1em margin on the image? If it
    is to keep the text away from it, set the width of the div to be the
    same as the width of the image, and set the margin on the div. (on
    left floated, only a right margin is needed, on right floated, a left
    margin).
    The added advantage of that, is that if you add a caption below the
    image inside the floated div, it will not make the div go wider, but
    rather wrap the caption if it were a longer sentence.

    > Thanks for any clues.

    You're welcome :)

    --
    Els http://locusoptimus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Gnarlodious

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Re: div box questions; float text around a box, fit box to imagesize

    Entity Els spoke thus:

    >> Is there a way to "float" text around a div box the way it can float around
    >> an image?

    > yes, and it works exactly the same way. Give the div box a width and
    > float it like you would an image.

    Yes! It is working, however it appears there is no inline width declaration
    for div boxes. Since all my images are of varying width, what's the easiest
    way to do this? Oddly, a div box knows how high an image is but not how
    wide!

    -- Gnarlie
    http://Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/
    Gnarlodious, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Gnarlodious

    Els Guest

    Gnarlodious wrote:

    > Entity Els spoke thus:
    >
    >>> Is there a way to "float" text around a div box the way it can float around
    >>> an image?

    >> yes, and it works exactly the same way. Give the div box a width and
    >> float it like you would an image.

    > Yes! It is working, however it appears there is no inline width declaration
    > for div boxes. Since all my images are of varying width, what's the easiest
    > way to do this?

    Server side. Pick up the width/height of the image with php or another
    server side scripting language, and take that width to go in the width
    setting for the div. Obviously, you'd set the width for each div in an
    inline style then, not in the stylesheet.

    Without server side scripting it would just have to be coded by hand.

    > Oddly, a div box knows how high an image is but not how wide!

    If you'd float the div without setting a width, it actually would
    'shrink-wrap' around the image. It's the caption that may cause it to
    stretch wider than the image.

    It doesn't necessarily know the height of the image, but it just
    closes at the end of the content. Which is good, otherwise you could
    never have flexible text-flow or font-size inside a div without
    serious problems :)

    --
    Els http://locusoptimus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Sep 15, 2005
  5. Gnarlodious

    elizas

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Location:
    India
    Make Div same as text box(editable)

    Commonly we use textbox & textarea to write text by keyboard.But there is another control which can be used for the same pupose. Its DIV.

    Generally Div is used as container of other control or to show readonly text by setting the following property of div:

    contentEditable = "true"
    elizas, May 5, 2010