DIV headaches

bill

Hello,

I'm kind of new to using DIV's as opposed to TABLE's for page layout.

It seems very prolematic. I'm sure it's because I've many mistakes, but
I'm getting frustrated. See http://ace-co.ath.cx/products for example.
Yes I'm using inline frames, sorry. The borders are for debug.

At the moment, I'm just testing with MS Explorer and Firefox. MS
Explorer looks OK, but not Firefox on this page. I can't figure out what
I did wrong. The text in the DIV class=overview is lowered on the
right-side DIV's and bleeds into the DIV on the bottom. The
corresponding sections on the left are OK.

Thanks,

Bill

Blinky the Shark

bill said:
It seems very prolematic.

Something the proletariat does without even thinking about it? :)

(NOT a spelling flame; just Fun With English.)

Jedi Fans

bill said:
Hello,

I'm kind of new to using DIV's as opposed to TABLE's for page layout.

It seems very prolematic. I'm sure it's because I've many mistakes, but
I'm getting frustrated. See http://ace-co.ath.cx/products for example.
Yes I'm using inline frames, sorry. The borders are for debug.

At the moment, I'm just testing with MS Explorer and Firefox. MS
Explorer looks OK, but not Firefox on this page. I can't figure out what
I did wrong. The text in the DIV class=overview is lowered on the
right-side DIV's and bleeds into the DIV on the bottom. The
corresponding sections on the left are OK.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...&warning=2&uri=http://ace-co.ath.cx/products/

bill

Blinky the Shark said the following on 8/4/2005 3:53 PM:
bill wrote:

Something the proletariat does without even thinking about it? :)

Yes, considering we proletariat's are discouraged more and more from use
of tables for layout in favor of using div's.

If you sit on the board of a large corporation, please forgive me.

But yes, I did mean to say problematic.

Leonard Blaisdell

and with said:
At the moment, I'm just testing with MS Explorer and Firefox. MS
Explorer looks OK, but not Firefox on this page. I can't figure out what
I did wrong. The text in the DIV class=overview is lowered on the
right-side DIV's and bleeds into the DIV on the bottom. The
corresponding sections on the left are OK.

There's not one div in the source of the page you are referring to. I
will tell you that "Batching System" on "Scorpion Batching", "Dispatch
Software" and "Moisture Control" is in the middle of the lower border
for that section and looks like a strikethrough in Safari.

leo

kchayka

bill said:
I'm getting frustrated. See http://ace-co.ath.cx/products for example.

Explorer looks OK, but not Firefox on this page.

What you are probably seeing is IE's broken default overflow behavior,
compared to FF's conformance to the CSS specs. BTW, the default is
overflow:visible.

When you set the height property, IE treats it as min-height instead,
then expands the element as needed to fit the content. This is incorrect
behavior. FF and other conforming browsers restrict the height to the
specified value and let the content "spill out".

If you change that height property to min-height, then conforming
browsers should do the same as IE does now.

Before you do anything, though, validate your HTML and CSS and fix the
errors. That will eliminate syntax errors as a cause of rendering problems.

Bill McCormick

Jedi said:
nvm problem solved:
DIV.lclearer {
clear: both;
line-height: 0;
height: 0;
}

DIV.rclearer {
line-height: 3;
height: 3;
}

= not the same
At one point they were the same but that was no better. Before that, I
had tried a single DIV.clearer, but it looked like in Firefox, the
clear: both was not only sending the text clear of the float-ing image,
but clear of the DIV to the right as well. So I tried a seperate
DIV.clearer for left and right, and it seemed to get me somewhere
closer, but then I had to leave for the day.

Bill McCormick

Leonard said:
You aren't using one div in <http://ace-co.ath.cx/products/>, and with
the intro, I thought you would be.
All the DIV's are in the document that is loaded into the iframe.
There's not one div in the source of the page you are referring to. I
will tell you that "Batching System" on "Scorpion Batching", "Dispatch
Software" and "Moisture Control" is in the middle of the lower border
for that section and looks like a strikethrough in Safari.

leo
Probably an ill effect of the inline frame I'm using to speed
development. I need to get rid of that asap.

Jedi Fans

Bill said:
At one point they were the same but that was no better. Before that, I
had tried a single DIV.clearer, but it looked like in Firefox, the
clear: both was not only sending the text clear of the float-ing image,
but clear of the DIV to the right as well. So I tried a seperate
DIV.clearer for left and right, and it seemed to get me somewhere
closer, but then I had to leave for the day.

clear:right; on the DIV.rclearer then?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Bill McCormick quothed:
So I tried a seperate
DIV.clearer for left and right, and it seemed to get me somewhere
closer, but then I had to leave for the day.

Know exactly what you mean. I tried picking-up my cubicle-neighbor's
secretary and it seemed like I was getting closer to her, too, but then,
alas, I had to leave for the day.

Bill McCormick

Neredbojias said the following on 8/5/2005 7:01 AM:
With neither quill nor qualm, Bill McCormick quothed:

Know exactly what you mean. I tried picking-up my cubicle-neighbor's
secretary and it seemed like I was getting closer to her, too, but then,
alas, I had to leave for the day.
If she's better looking than a CRT, I might consider prolonging the day.
But then again, there's always mañana.

Bill McCormick

Jedi Fans said the following on 8/5/2005 4:44 AM:
clear:right; on the DIV.rclearer then?

clear: right for both gives me what I need.

Problem solved!

Code and learn.

Thanks for everybody's help :)

Jedi Fans

Bill said:
Jedi Fans said the following on 8/5/2005 4:44 AM:
clear: right for both gives me what I need.

Problem solved!

Code and learn.

glad it worked for ya :)
yvw and goood luck :D

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Bill McCormick quothed:
Neredbojias said the following on 8/5/2005 7:01 AM:
If she's better looking than a CRT, I might consider prolonging the day.

Actually, it's all in the tubes.
But then again, there's always mañana.

I generally stick to plain cigarettes. You may not be as happy, but
they complement masochistic self-destruction quite well.