    I can't seem to locate any postioning code relative to page bottom...

    thanks for any input

    james

    James Mercola, Aug 15, 2004

  2. James Mercola

    Toby Inkster Guest

    James Mercola wrote:

    > is there any kind of code for layers using div id's that will position an
    > element in relation to the bottom of the browser window?

    html, body {
    height: 100%;
    }
    #mything {
    position: absolute; /* or "fixed" */
    bottom: 10px;
    left: 10px;

    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 15, 2004

  3. James Mercola

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:10:34 GMT, James Mercola <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > is there any kind of code for layers using div id's that will position an
    > element in relation to the bottom of the browser window?

    See Toby's post for how to do it, but what happens if the page is longer
    than the browser window? You _could_ use position: fixed; but IE doesn't
    support it.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Aug 15, 2004
  4. James Mercola

    rf Guest

    "James Mercola" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > is there any kind of code for layers using div id's that will position an
    > element in relation to the bottom of the browser window? in this case i
    > have a bottom navigation bar that should stay at the bottom of the page,

    but
    > I can't seem to locate any postioning code relative to page bottom...

    You use two terms here, bottom of browser window and bottom of page.

    Bottom of page does not equal botttom of browser window.

    A bottom navigation bar should naturally be at the bottom of the page, that
    is the bottom of the document. That, for example, is where google put their
    bottom navigation.

    If you put the navigation at the bottom of the browser window then it will
    be permanently covering up some of the content and could possibly confuse
    your viewer.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 24, 2004
  5. James Mercola

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:09:28 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:

    <snip>

    Welcome back, Richard. Been at the snow?

    BTW: You do realise this thread is over a week old now?

    Mark Parnell, Aug 24, 2004
  6. James Mercola

    Nik Coughin Guest

    rf wrote:

    > If you put the navigation at the bottom of the browser window then it
    > will be permanently covering up some of the content and could
    > possibly confuse your viewer.

    Just wondering, what if you had a navigation at the bottom of the *window*
    that was, say, 3em high, and then had a 3em margin-bottom for the content?
    I'm going to try it, be right back!

    (ten minutes later...)

    Works perfectly in Opera and Mozilla, page doesn't look as expected in IE
    (had a quick play with some position-fixed hacks for IE but didn't get it
    working) but is still usable:

    http://www.nrkn.com/bottomNav/

    Nik Coughin, Aug 24, 2004
  7. James Mercola

    rf Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:09:28 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:

    > Welcome back, Richard. Been at the snow?

    Thankyou sir. Yep. More snow than you can poke a ski at. Blizzarded in for
    three days, couldn't even get down to the pub :-(

    We did however manage to dig up a couple of cold ones out on the deck
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/f.jpg

    > BTW: You do realise this thread is over a week old now?

    Damn. I thought I did a catch up when I got back.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 24, 2004
  8. James Mercola

    rf Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > rf wrote:

    [fixed bottom div]

    > (ten minutes later...)
    >
    > Works perfectly in Opera and Mozilla, page doesn't look as expected in IE
    > (had a quick play with some position-fixed hacks for IE but didn't get it
    > working) but is still usable:
    >
    > http://www.nrkn.com/bottomNav/

    Best imitation of a frameset I have seen for a while :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 24, 2004