    "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
    you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
    -- Howard Aiken

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Apr 6, 2005

  2. GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    > When I want to display some lists next to each other like:
    > http://wilma.vub.ac.be/~lddekeyz/final/pages/links.html . Wether
    > they should have a title or not, should I do this with a table or
    > with a few div's? Can this be regarded as tabular data?

    Look better as lists to me, not tabular data ... you should be able to
    put each list in

    <ul ...

    ..mylist { float: left; }

    Whatever comes next may require a clear: left; style.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 6, 2005

  3. GuyBrush Treepwood

    Archimedes Guest

    Personally I think a table would make more sense. It's tabular data of
    "links", split into three main categories (<th>'s). Using div's would
    not show the relationship between the lists.

    -Archimedes

    Archimedes, Apr 6, 2005
  4. On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:40:01 -0400, Archimedes wrote:

    > Personally I think a table would make more sense. It's tabular data of
    > "links", split into three main categories (<th>'s). Using div's would
    > not show the relationship between the lists.

    This is indeed what I was thinking. But in the Pics section, I want to add
    pictures of different gigs. But to utilize as much space as is possible,
    I want to have a few lists of links next to each other, without the
    titles. Would a table also make sense here, or should I go for the div's
    in this case?

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Apr 6, 2005
  5. GuyBrush Treepwood

    Archimedes Guest

    Not sure, but just ask yourself if the data you are presenting has a
    tabular relationship. If it does, then a table makes sense. If it
    doesn't, then it's better off as an unordered list.

    Of course, all this is nitpicking and more on the "accessibility" agenda
    rather than the appearance one. I am sure most of your site's users
    will be reading the page from a regular browser, and will never ever see
    the code that went behind it. However, from a professional point of
    view, these questions are very important because they are necessary to
    accomodate for the disabled and their methods of accessing the internt
    (screen readers, etc). Ask yourself who your audience is, and go from
    there.

    Peace,
    Archimedes

    Archimedes, Apr 6, 2005
  6. GuyBrush Treepwood

    RF Rohrer Guest

    My point would be to use whichever is the easiest, most reliable
    cross-browser and does the best job of being useful to the visitor.

    Often, tables are still the best, even for placement control on the screen.
    They are easy to concieve of and solid accross all browsers.

    Unfortunately, CSS is not cross-browser reliable on first implementation on
    anything I do. I always have to find work-arounds, even with CDD and HTML
    code that validates.

    If I want something cross-browser reliable, FAST . . I'll do it with tables.
    Later, I will look for CSS methods that will please MSIE, NS, O and FF.

    I notice it is the people who work with CSS nearly every day that are able
    to know all the quirks of the various browsers and feel that tables should
    be left to the dust bins of Internet. For those of us who are infrequent
    creators of HTML and CSS documents, we find ourselves up many blind canyons
    with HTML and CSS that looks fine in MSIE, but horrible in NS, O or FF.

    So, people like me, still find it more time worthy and reliable to use
    tables to do things.

    It is interesting that PDF files work everywhere. but CSS doesnt! I wonder
    why?

    Perhaps we should all elect Adobe to create a browser core that all others
    would have to license. Hmmmmmm . . we might even get downloadable fonts then
    too. I would like that.

    But, mostly, I would like the solid cross-browser nature of such an idea.

    RF Rohrer, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero, Apr 7, 2005
  8. RF Rohrer wrote :

    > "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote in message
    >> When I want to display some lists next to each other like:
    >> http://wilma.vub.ac.be/~lddekeyz/final/pages/links.html .
    >> Wether they should have a title or not, should I do this with a table or
    >> with a few div's? Can this be regarded as tabular data?

    > My point would be to use whichever is the easiest, most reliable
    > cross-browser and does the best job of being useful to the visitor.
    >
    > Often, tables are still the best, even for placement control on the screen.
    > They are easy to concieve of and solid accross all browsers.

    When suggesting this to unaware web developers (newbies, etc), you
    should also keep in mind that some people who use text browsers or
    other non gui browsers for whatever reason, they may not be able to
    receive the message that you site is trying to convey. This kind of
    table-layout may hinder some from getting the information that the
    developer wants them to have.

    > Unfortunately, CSS is not cross-browser reliable on first implementation on
    > anything I do. I always have to find work-arounds, even with CDD and HTML
    > code that validates.

    I think that this may be just a matter of experience. take this
    scenario...
    ralph: i dont know how css works, so i will use tables instead.
    or this...
    chachi: i dont know how to make an html page, so i will make it in
    msword and convert it to html instead.
    or this...
    marion: i dont know how to create a msword document, so i will write
    it on a piece of papaer, then scan it to a bitmap image, instead.

    > If I want something cross-browser reliable, FAST . . I'll do it with tables.
    > Later, I will look for CSS methods that will please MSIE, NS, O and FF.

    again, this is very subjective. this is what /you/ would do, and
    perhaps you will find it faster, but i know it will take others much
    less time to do the same in css than it would using tables.

    > I notice it is the people who work with CSS nearly every day that are able
    > to know all the quirks of the various browsers and feel that tables should
    > be left to the dust bins of Internet. For those of us who are infrequent
    > creators of HTML and CSS documents, we find ourselves up many blind canyons
    > with HTML and CSS that looks fine in MSIE, but horrible in NS, O or FF.

    indeed. but again, this would be a matter of practice. being an
    infrequent html/css user is no reason to suggest that tables are easier
    to manage layout than css is.

    something else to consider...
    arthur: i dont use css much, so i receommend that you use tables to
    make your html layout. it works for me.
    or this...
    richie: i dont use html much, i recommend that you use msword and
    convert your document to html. it works for me.
    or this...
    potsie: i dont use msword much, i recommend you draw your picture,
    then scan it to an image and use that. it works for me.

    re OP... I dont think that this may actually be considered tabular
    be more appropriate.

    I would personally use simple elements, and suggest the layout using
    css.

    --
    eat beef jerky

    Disco Octopus, Apr 7, 2005