DIV overlapping

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Els finally
proclaimed:
Apology accepted ;P

You know that with one eye closed and your tongue sticking out, that you
look slightly demented[1]? ;)

_____
[1] Once again, apologies.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:
Did you take into account the structural relationship between

WTF are you on? Just thanks the nice lady[1] and use the damn code.
Don't worry about trying to imply a /structural relationship/ because if
there is one then you should be using a table anyway!

A table?
Let´s see if we mean the same thing.
"Semesterbostäder" are holiday lodgings.
So they make a subsection, being the section the whole page
but "semesterbostäder i Italien" (holiday lodgings in Italy) make a
subsubsection
and "semesterbostäder i Sverige" (holiday lodgings in Sweden) make another
subsubsection.
Also, I am considering whether I should divide "Fakta om Italien" in several
subsubsubsections like "Fakta och semesterbostäder i Ligurien", "Fakta och
semesterbostäder i Aostadalen" and so on and whether the site map should be
built on different levels so that I could insert these subsubsubsection on a
deeper level within "sv" like sv/sitemap/
Is that a structure which should be rendered by a table?!

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
I don't speak Swedish, so I did indeed not take into account any
structural relationship at all. It's easy enough to make it 3 columns
of 2 rows instead of 2 rows of 3 columns, but then you won't have
equal heights. If you want to maintain that relationship /and/ equal
heights to make it look like a table, you're looking for a table, and
you shouldn't use divs to make life difficult.

Considering that many of you are usually in favour of limiting the use of
table as much as possible in this NG, tables might be the right solution if
you think that it would suit this time!
However, I use divs in my meny and in this case I (who is usually more
inclined to use tables as you are) wonder whether it would not be the case
of a table used for layout purposes...

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
I just *know* you won't use it, but here's anyway:

#top,#bottom{
width:100%;
float:left; /* to avoid peek-a-boo in IE */
clear:left;
margin:20px 0;
}
#a,#d{
width:30%;
float:left;
background-color:yellow;
}
#b,#e{
width:30%;
float:right;
background-color:blue;
}
#c,#f{
margin-left:34%;
margin-right:34%;
background-color:red;
}

--

Considering that many of you are usually in favour of limiting the use of
tables as much as possible in this NG, tables might be the right solution
if
you think that it would suit this time!
However, I use divs in my menu and in this case I (who is usually more
inclined to use tables than you are) wonder whether it would not be the case
of a table used for layout purposes...

dorayme

From: Dylan Parry said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:
Did you take into account the structural relationship between

WTF are you on? Just thanks the nice lady[1] and use the damn code.
Don't worry about trying to imply a /structural relationship/ because if
there is one then you should be using a table anyway!

_____
[1] Els, Apologies for referring to you as "the nice lady".

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1]. Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France. The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

Luigi is no more likely to "just use" any suggested code than a
modern French or German philosopher is likely to speak quite
plainly.

Els

Luigi said:
Considering that many of you are usually in favour of limiting the use of
table as much as possible in this NG, tables might be the right solution if
you think that it would suit this time!
However, I use divs in my meny and in this case I (who is usually more
inclined to use tables as you are) wonder whether it would not be the case
of a table used for layout purposes...

Come back after you're done wondering...

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", dorayme
finally proclaimed:
[1] Apologies for calling you "young Dylan"...

That's perfectly fine, my friendly Martian[1]. I think I /understand/
Luigi as well as anyone else here :\

_____
[1] Apologies... Notice a pattern here? <g>

Luigi Donatello Asero

From: Dylan Parry <[email protected]>

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:
Did you take into account the structural relationship between

WTF are you on? Just thanks the nice lady[1] and use the damn code.
Don't worry about trying to imply a /structural relationship/ because if
there is one then you should be using a table anyway!

_____
[1] Els, Apologies for referring to you as "the nice lady".

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1].

I see that foonotes are on trend today...

Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France.

In fact, I have been in France a few times...

The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

Luigi is no more likely to "just use" any suggested code than a
modern French or German philosopher is likely to speak quite
plainly.

Welcome back, Dorayme!
Here is a question for you.
Is the following link the latest version on the subject
table for layout versus table for data
linearizing table and so on?

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#tables-layout

mbstevens

dorayme wrote:
___
[1] Els, Apologies for referring to you as "the nice lady".

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1]. Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France. The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

<ROFL>
But every time I start to gloat I remember that over here we have to
deal with the influx of fundamentalism into academia, and I have to ask
who's in worse shape.

Luigi Donatello Asero

mbstevens said:
dorayme wrote:
___
[1] Els, Apologies for referring to you as "the nice lady".

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1]. Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France. The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

<ROFL>
But every time I start to gloat I remember that over here we have to
deal with the influx of fundamentalism into academia, and I have to ask
who's in worse shape.

Back to tables,
they usually show a relationship between <td> which are in the same row.
But what about showing a relationship between cells which are visually seen
one after the other and belong visually to 2 rows?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
mbstevens said:
dorayme wrote:
___
[...]

How do I create vertical rows?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
How do I create vertical rows?

I mean, how do I show a relationship between the content of 2 lists one of
which being below the other and both being a part of the same class?

mbstevens

Luigi said:
Back to tables,
they usually show a relationship between <td> which are in the same row.
But what about showing a relationship between cells which are visually seen
one after the other and belong visually to 2 rows?
Then that table is arranged by columns instead of rows.

If you gen into a situation that requires relating elements in more than
two dimensions, (X)HTML is too limited to do it all in one table object.
You will have to dissect the information so that 2D tables can be moved
through like a deck of cards. Or have maybe have a table that is a
slice through some other tables, or that arranges information in a
completely different way than the other tables. More help can be found
in any of Tufte's three books on presenting information visually.

dorayme

From: Dylan Parry said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", dorayme
finally proclaimed:
[1] Apologies for calling you "young Dylan"...

That's perfectly fine, my friendly Martian[1]. I think I /understand/
Luigi as well as anyone else here :\

_____
[1] Apologies... Notice a pattern here? <g>

Yeah ok, three can play at this game, myself and me and you. Now there is a
pattern.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Welcome back, Dorayme!
Here is a question for you.
Is the following link the latest version on the subject
table for layout versus table for data
linearizing table and so on?

I have not been away really. (I hate to point out again, Luigi,
old boy, but it is a small "d" for my name...). Use tables
whenever you feel like it but do it good. Don't worry about
whether you should or not, this will only distract you from your
serious web design work. Use your freedom to flout what you want
to flout.

dorayme

From: mbstevens said:
dorayme wrote:
___
[1] Els, Apologies for referring to you as "the nice lady".

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1]. Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France. The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

<ROFL>
But every time I start to gloat I remember that over here we have to
deal with the influx of fundamentalism into academia, and I have to ask
who's in worse shape.

So, how bad is it over there and what sort of fundamentalism?

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Back to tables,
they usually show a relationship between <td> which are in the same row.
But what about showing a relationship between cells which are visually seen
one after the other and belong visually to 2 rows?

I must say Luigi, this is most existentially unEuropeany. Such an attention
to detail. How seriously do you want to know the essence of a table?

mbstevens

From: mbstevens <[email protected]>

dorayme wrote:
___
[1] Els, Apologies for referring to you as "the nice lady".

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1]. Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France. The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

<ROFL>
But every time I start to gloat I remember that over here we have to
deal with the influx of fundamentalism into academia, and I have to ask
who's in worse shape.

So, how bad is it over there and what sort of fundamentalism?

A coalition of religious fundamentalisms.
The clearest symptom is that
'intelligent design'
(creationism with a pipe, but still clearly metaphysics)
has been added to the middle and high school biology texts in several
states.

I've also gone through the online site of some university philosophy
departments, and found them starting to offer more metaphysical bunkum
instead of stressing more sensible course work like symbolic logics and
philosophy of mathematics.

The situation is very, very sad. I feel like I've been sent back to the
1950s in a time warp. Like an ancient Roman at the sunset that began
the Dark Ages.