    thanks!
    matt
    , Sep 11, 2006

    i did this. my approach was to have two divs:

    1) the background mask, height & width set to 10)%. background-color of
    black and using an IE filter to reduce its opacity to 15% (my app is
    IE-only intranet)

    2) the popup/dialog window, centered, which looks like a post-it note
    w/ a slight fuzzy dropshadow. it has a higher z-index than the mask
    div, so it is 100% opacity, which makes it the central focal point.

    the dialog div also has an "X" in its top-right corner, for closing the
    dialog and canceling the mask layer.

    presto.

    matt
    , Sep 12, 2006