nowhere man

I'm having a problem understanding what gives with the responses of the two
browsers.
Basically I have a <div> which is 10% in height. Or if you'd prefer, 100px
in height.
Either way makes no difference. Just to see what happens, I put in an image
that I know is greater than the height of the division.
IE appears to float the size of the division accordingly. While with
mozilla, the actual division container remains precisely the same and the
image appears out of bounds.
What's the proper remedy around this? Ok. I know you're gonna say use
thumbnails. But that's not the answer I am looking for. I just want to know
why mozilla refuses to contain the contents.

nowhere man

nowhere said:
[...]

kind of found my own answer I think. If I include height as "100%" in the
img tag then it appears to show up as a thumbnail of sorts. Works just fine
in both, but in IE it has a blank line under the image.

Just Taylor

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:26:54 GMT, "nowhere man", "Richard", RtS, AKA
Richard Bullis, AKA Donald Johnson, KotM, LMA, admitted child
pornography collector and military coward who lied about being in the
ASA. A out of work deadbeat delivery boy who was evicted from his home
in September, 2002 for not paying his bills and owed the good people of
Wisconsin $171 which he was finally forced to pay on 06/09/03,
I'm having a problem understanding what gives with the responses of the two
browsers.
Basically I have a <div> which is 10% in height. Or if you'd prefer, 100px
in height.
Either way makes no difference. Just to see what happens, I put in an image
that I know is greater than the height of the division.
IE appears to float the size of the division accordingly. While with
mozilla, the actual division container remains precisely the same and the
image appears out of bounds.
What's the proper remedy around this? Ok. I know you're gonna say use
thumbnails. But that's not the answer I am looking for. I just want to know
why mozilla refuses to contain the contents.

Why the name change, Stoopid? Has alt.html already tired of you
already? That <div> sure is stumping your demo I see. Maybe you should
leave the demo's to people who know what they are doing?

Toby A Inkster

nowhere said:
Basically I have a <div> which is 10% in height. Or if you'd prefer, 100px
in height.
Either way makes no difference. Just to see what happens, I put in an image
that I know is greater than the height of the division.
IE appears to float the size of the division accordingly. While with
mozilla, the actual division container remains precisely the same and the
image appears out of bounds.

Mozilla's behaviour is correct.

Solution: don't set the height for an element unless you *know* how high
the contents are going to be.

informant

nowhere man said:
I'm having a problem understanding what gives with the responses of the two
browsers.

Did you really think the regs here wouldn't recognize your sockpuppet,
Bullis?
Basically I have a <div> which is 10% in height. Or if you'd prefer, 100px
in height.
Either way makes no difference. Just to see what happens, I put in an image
that I know is greater than the height of the division.
IE appears to float the size of the division accordingly. While with
mozilla, the actual division container remains precisely the same and the
image appears out of bounds.
What's the proper remedy around this?

Not being an asshole to the regs would have been a start, Bullis.
Ok. I know you're gonna say use
thumbnails. But that's not the answer I am looking for.

Then why bother asking, St00pid?

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:26:54 GMT
From: "nowhere man" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: <div> problem....IE versus mozilla resize

informant

nowhere man said:
kind of found my own answer I think. If I include height as "100%" in the
img tag then it appears to show up as a thumbnail of sorts. Works just fine
in both, but in IE it has a blank line under the image.

Good news, Bullis. Maybe you and your socks won't be bothering people here
anymore.

Great sig, St00pid. Fits you to a T.

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:49:15 GMT
From: "nowhere man" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: Re: <div> problem....IE versus mozilla resize

informant

Just Taylor said:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:26:54 GMT, "nowhere man", "Richard", RtS, AKA
Richard Bullis, AKA Donald Johnson, KotM, LMA, admitted child
pornography collector and military coward who lied about being in the
ASA. A out of work deadbeat delivery boy who was evicted from his home
in September, 2002 for not paying his bills and owed the good people of
Wisconsin $171 which he was finally forced to pay on 06/09/03,

Why the name change, Stoopid? Has alt.html already tired of you
already? That <div> sure is stumping your demo I see. Maybe you should
leave the demo's to people who know what they are doing?

But Bullis has a right to be here and scream at the regs and ignore their
expert advice from behind as many sockpuppets as he can conjure. There's no
inexcretable evidence that Bullis is the only one with a <div> problem.