div problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rudra, Sep 24, 2010.

  1. rudra

    rudra Guest

    Dear friends,
    plz look at the webpage: http://bose.res.in/~rudra/work.html
    I requested your help few days back, but this is different issue.
    in the middle section, I have an image(as you can see). I tried to
    replace the mid-portion of this section in such a way that will have
    the light blue back ground and text over it. I feel <div> tag is
    suitable to make this...a 2x2 array of div. But what i found in net is
    div should not have an align statement. so, how, can I make an array
    which looks like
    |------------|------------|
    | div1 | div2 |
    |------------|------------|
    | div3 | div4 |
    |------------|------------|

    Plz help
     
    rudra, Sep 24, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. rudra

    rudra Guest

    I dont know css and probably, this is the only time I will work on a
    webpage. so, plz tell me in terms of html
     
    rudra, Sep 24, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 24/09/10 17:17, rudra wrote:

    > I dont know css and probably, this is the only time I will work on a
    > webpage. so, plz tell me in terms of html


    If you're going to use divs, css will have to be part of it.

    The following might help get you started, although I'm sure someone who
    knows better will come along and explain in great detail what's wrong
    with it shortly, probably without suggesting how to make it better.

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type"
    content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <title>4 Cell Layout With CSS</title>
    <style type="text/css">
    div#toprow {
    width:99%;
    position:absolute;
    top:0px;
    left:0px;
    height:300px;
    }
    div#bottomrow {
    width:99%;
    position:absolute;
    top:300px;
    left:0px;
    }
    div.left {
    width:300px;
    position:absolute;
    top:0px;
    left:0px;
    }
    div.right {
    position:absolute;
    top:0px;
    left:300px;
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="toprow">
    <div class="left">
    <p>Top Left, 300 px square cell.</p>
    </div>
    <div class="right">
    <p>Top Right, 300 px high, flowing to 99% of
    total width with content.</p>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div id="bottomrow">
    <div class="left">
    <p>Bottom Left, 300 px wide, flowing down
    with content.</p>
    </div>
    <div class="right">
    <p>Bottom Right, flowing to 99% of total width
    and downwards with content.</p>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
     
    Denis McMahon, Sep 24, 2010
    #3
  4. rudra

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    rudra <> wrote:

    > Dear friends,
    > plz look at the webpage: http://bose.res.in/~rudra/work.html
    > I requested your help few days back, but this is different issue.
    > in the middle section, I have an image(as you can see). I tried to
    > replace the mid-portion of this section in such a way that will have
    > the light blue back ground and text over it. I feel <div> tag is
    > suitable to make this...a 2x2 array of div. But what i found in net is
    > div should not have an align statement. so, how, can I make an array
    > which looks like
    > |------------|------------|
    > | div1 | div2 |
    > |------------|------------|
    > | div3 | div4 |
    > |------------|------------|
    >
    > I dont know css and probably, this is the only time I will work on a
    > webpage. so, plz tell me in terms of html


    In terms of HTML, get what you want to say right, and, since you
    are not interested in how to style things with CSS, leave it at
    the HTML and put off the desire to style till you come back in
    another life to do another webpage. Your pages will be the better
    for it. Just list the links in a UL, use some headings and a
    couple of paragraphs saying what you do and are interested in
    etc. and leave it at that. Plain and simple.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Sep 24, 2010
    #4
  5. On 09/25/2010 01:29 AM, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On 24/09/10 17:17, rudra wrote:

    Thanks Denis.....its getting better.
     
    Rudra Banerjee, Sep 25, 2010
    #5
  6. rudra

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i7ln9v$8aa$>,
    Rudra Banerjee <> wrote:

    > On 09/25/2010 01:29 AM, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > > On 24/09/10 17:17, rudra wrote:

    > Thanks Denis.....its getting better.


    The patient looks exactly the same as it did the other day,
    complete with heavy shadows under its eyes.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Sep 25, 2010
    #6
  7. On 24 Sep., 18:17, rudra <> wrote:
    > [...] probably, this is the only time I will work on a
    > webpage. so, [...]


    Don't say this.
     
    Jan C. Faerber, Sep 26, 2010
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. HJ
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    865
    Jonathan N. Little
    Sep 1, 2006
  2. Leupi
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    7,834
    Leupi
    Feb 9, 2008
  3. K Viltersten

    <div ... /> and <div ...></div>

    K Viltersten, Mar 30, 2009, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    776
  4. Dwayne Madsen

    Q: Div A inside Div B is larger than Div B

    Dwayne Madsen, Jun 1, 2005, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    208
    David Dorward
    Jun 1, 2005
  5. mscir
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    334
    Martin Honnen
    Jun 26, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page