DIV Width/Height Issues

Discussion in 'HTML' started by J, Feb 8, 2008.

  1. J

    J Guest

    Hey all,

    I'm having some trouble getting my two divs to show up correctly on my
    site. I have a 500px width by 100% tall menu div on the right hand
    side of my screen. Then I have a content div on the left hand size
    that I want to fill up the rest of the screen (i.e. 100% width -
    500px). I've googled around a bit, but haven't found a working
    solution.

    Here's a link to an image that shows visually what I mean:
    http://media.twango.com/m1/original/0121/6c72360a341a4bf89101421960d4caf3.jpg

    Anyone know of how to do this? Thanks!
    J, Feb 8, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. J

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    J <> wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm having some trouble getting my two divs to show up correctly on my
    > site. I have a 500px width by 100% tall menu div on the right hand
    > side of my screen. Then I have a content div on the left hand size
    > that I want to fill up the rest of the screen (i.e. 100% width -
    > 500px). I've googled around a bit, but haven't found a working
    > solution.
    >
    > Here's a link to an image that shows visually what I mean:
    > http://media.twango.com/m1/original/0121/6c72360a341a4bf89101421960d4caf3.jpg
    >
    > Anyone know of how to do this? Thanks!


    For modern non IE browsers:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/jdump.html>

    comes to mind. But there would be better.

    500px is a lot for a menu?

    Consider posting a url of the likely amounts of content and
    navigation, there are many ways depending.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 9, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. J

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    > J <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I'm having some trouble getting my two divs to show up correctly on my
    >> site. I have a 500px width by 100% tall menu div on the right hand
    >> side of my screen. Then I have a content div on the left hand size
    >> that I want to fill up the rest of the screen (i.e. 100% width -
    >> 500px). I've googled around a bit, but haven't found a working
    >> solution.
    >>
    >> Here's a link to an image that shows visually what I mean:
    >> http://media.twango.com/m1/original/0121/6c72360a341a4bf89101421960d4caf3.jpg
    >>
    >> Anyone know of how to do this? Thanks!

    >
    > For modern non IE browsers:
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/jdump.html>


    Works fine with IE5.5, IE6 and IE7 :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 9, 2008
    #3
  4. J

    dorayme Guest

    In article <LK7rj.12744$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > In article
    > > <
    > > m>,
    > > J <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Here's a link to an image that shows visually what I mean:
    > >> http://media.twango.com/m1/original/0121/6c72360a341a4bf89101421960d4caf3.j
    > >> pg
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know of how to do this? Thanks!

    > >
    > > For modern non IE browsers:
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/jdump.html>

    >
    > Works fine with IE5.5, IE6 and IE7 :)


    Ah, I vaguely recall now that fixed backgrounds *do* work in IE
    on body... I was not sure before your post.

    Anyway, the reason this "solution" was jotted down by me was
    rather that I am playing about with faux cols at the moment for
    something else... (There is something fascinating to me about
    tiny byte 1px wide or high images having such big effects...) <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 9, 2008
    #4
  5. J

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <LK7rj.12744$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...


    >> > For modern non IE browsers:
    >> >
    >> > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/jdump.html>

    >>
    >> Works fine with IE5.5, IE6 and IE7 :)

    >
    > Ah, I vaguely recall now that fixed backgrounds *do* work in IE
    > on body... I was not sure before your post.


    Doesn't matter. Since this is a single colour image it does not acutally
    *need* to be fixed.

    BTW this method will of course fail if that nav bar is sized in ems rather
    than pixels :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 9, 2008
    #5
  6. J

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dr9rj.12763$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > In article <LK7rj.12744$>,
    > > "rf" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...

    >
    > >> > For modern non IE browsers:
    > >> >
    > >> > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/jdump.html>
    > >>
    > >> Works fine with IE5.5, IE6 and IE7 :)

    > >
    > > Ah, I vaguely recall now that fixed backgrounds *do* work in IE
    > > on body... I was not sure before your post.

    >
    > Doesn't matter. Since this is a single colour image it does not acutally
    > *need* to be fixed.
    >

    Ah, yes, what was I thinking... you are right. I have removed the
    bit that is useless. I still would not have been sure the revised
    state of the url would work in IE so thanks again for letting us
    know... <g>

    > BTW this method will of course fail if that nav bar is sized in ems rather
    > than pixels :)


    It *is* fragile. I would not exactly recommend it. (In some
    contexts, backgrounds can be made to help a column appearance
    with em based dimensions, I made one yesterday for a demo in
    another context. Well known as faux columns.

    It *would* be handy to be able to em dimension background images.
    (em dimensioning even non-background images is fraught with
    difficulties from my tests).

    Can you stop this rain please, it is getting too much. I want the
    drought back now.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 9, 2008
    #6
  7. J

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <dr9rj.12763$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:

    ....

    > Can you stop this rain please, it is getting too much. I want the
    > drought back now.


    JC! How the hell did you do that? The sun just came out!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 9, 2008
    #7
  8. Re: DIV Width/Height Issues OT

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <dr9rj.12763$>,
    >> "rf" <> wrote:

    > ...
    >
    >> Can you stop this rain please, it is getting too much. I want the
    >> drought back now.


    Send it over here to Adelaide, please, pretty please.
    PhilK


    --
    Phil & Val Kempster
    http://kempster.info
    Phil Kempster, Feb 9, 2008
    #8
  9. J

    Ben C Guest

    On 2008-02-08, J <> wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm having some trouble getting my two divs to show up correctly on my
    > site. I have a 500px width by 100% tall menu div on the right hand
    > side of my screen. Then I have a content div on the left hand size
    > that I want to fill up the rest of the screen (i.e. 100% width -
    > 500px). I've googled around a bit, but haven't found a working
    > solution.


    Make the menu a right float with width 500px. Then make the content area
    a normal div with margin-right 500px.
    Ben C, Feb 9, 2008
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Lois
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,215
    Ryan Stewart
    Dec 27, 2004
  2. cera
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,259
    Neredbojias
    Aug 18, 2007
  3. Bernd Meier
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    506
    GTalbot
    Jan 14, 2008
  4. muggslab

    Div Height = Image height. help

    muggslab, Feb 1, 2010, in forum: HTML and CSS
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    860
    muggslab
    Feb 1, 2010
  5. Don Vaillancourt

    How to tell height of div where height is not set?

    Don Vaillancourt, Jan 28, 2005, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    144
    Dietmar Meier
    Jan 31, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page