DIV Width Match Content

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ekazda, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ekazda

ekazda Guest

Okay, I know this can't be that hard... or can it? :stupido:

What I have are three elements within a custom CMS (I'm using some .net objects, but that doesn't matter in regards to what I am trying to do):

------

LABEL
    DIV
    FILE UPLOAD

------

I'm using the DIV to return information regarding any current image that may already exist on the server. If no image exists, I simply hide the DIV. If an image does exist, I display the DIV.

NOW, this DIV is style to have a nice border, some padding, and a pretty BG color. What I would like to do is SNAP THE WIDTH of the DIV to match the CONTENT (a hyperlink).

Using DISPLAY:INLINE snaps the width to the content PERFECTLY. However, it makes the layout change to the following:

------

LABEL DIV
    FILE UPLOAD

------

That's no good.

Without DISPLAY:INLINE, the DIV stretches to match its container, which is 100%.

SO, the question is how do I maintain the BLOCK characteristics of the DIV, but simply snap the width to the content (WITHOUT JAVASCRIPT).
    ekazda, Feb 13, 2008
    1. Advertising