    best,
    jason

    , Aug 8, 2007

  2. BootNic Guest

    wrote: news:1186611369.533290.73720@
    57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    > I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains all
    > the page elements, and a single background image behind it. the site
    > works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according to
    > Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE either,
    > but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is the
    > background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page. the
    > CSS validates, the HTML validates (except for some minor things that i
    > would be shocked if were the problem)... anyone able to help me figure
    > out what's wrong?
    >
    > the page is in QA at http://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

    Replace:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="utilities/scripts.js" />
    with:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="utilities/scripts.js"></script>

    --
    BootNic Wednesday, August 08, 2007 6:41 PM

    "My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with money,
    from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and rebellion during
    a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-driven press! It's
    nightmarish!"
    *Gibson-Sterling*

    BootNic, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:16:09 GMT
    scribed:

    > Hi,
    > I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains all
    > the page elements, and a single background image behind it. the site
    > works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according to
    > Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE either,
    > but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is the
    > background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page. the
    > CSS validates, the HTML validates (except for some minor things that i
    > would be shocked if were the problem)... anyone able to help me figure
    > out what's wrong?
    >
    > the page is in QA at http://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

    Ie doesn't do xhtml.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 8, 2007

    thank you!!

    On Aug 8, 6:57 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:16:09 GMT
    > scribed:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains all
    > > the page elements, and a single background image behind it. the site
    > > works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according to
    > > Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE either,
    > > but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is the
    > > background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page. the
    > > CSS validates, the HTML validates (except for some minor things that i
    > > would be shocked if were the problem)... anyone able to help me figure
    > > out what's wrong?

    > > the page is in QA athttp://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

    > Ie doesn't do xhtml.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    , Aug 9, 2007
  5. wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:16:09 GMT
    >> scribed:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains
    >>> all the page elements, and a single background image behind it.
    >>> the site works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according
    >>> to Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE
    >>> either, but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is
    >>> the background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page.
    >>> the page is in QA at
    >>> http://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

    >> Ie doesn't do xhtml.

    The page is being served as "Content-Type: text/html" so there is some
    other problem in there. Internet Explorer will throw up if you do really
    serve XHTML as "application/xhtml+xml"

    > thank you!!

    Instead of just commenting out the DOCTYPE - which throws browsers into
    quirks mode, you should switch to HTML 4.01 Strict. This is a new page,
    correct? You only use Transitional when you are .. well .. Transitioning
    a legacy document and you don't want to update all the presentational
    HTML yet.

    Now, about all those microfonts, see this as well, and also note the
    section on Verdana:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
    Your little font size switcher fails if JavaScript is disabled or
    stripped by my corporate firewall. Just use 100% and everyone gets their
    own chosen size.

    Your attempt at pixel-perfect design is bound to fail in some
    situations...

    Please don't top-post. Thanks for your consideration.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 9, 2007