    <http://tinyurl.com/>. I would prefer to put the ultimate location for
    all the likely places on one html page. Ideally it the link would be
    something like "mystite.com#gohere". Any suggestions?
    David Segall, Dec 26, 2005

  2. David Segall

    ' Guest

    ', Dec 26, 2005

  3. David Segall wrote:

    > I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    > like to make it as short as possible but don't want to use
    > <http://tinyurl.com/>. I would prefer to put the ultimate location for
    > all the likely places on one html page. Ideally it the link would be
    > something like "mystite.com#gohere". Any suggestions?

    I don't know if this is useful for you, but if you register at
    http://snipurl.com, you can name your shortened links (and they're saved
    in your account, where you can see hit stats, change the name, etc.).

    So you could have:

    http://snipurl.com/davids_cats
    http://snipurl.com/davids_poetry
    http://snipurl.com/davids_porn

    ....and so on. Tinyurl domain, but with your custom names.

    Reg is free and not invasive, and I've never seen any spam from them.

    It's a nice service.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 26, 2005
  4. David Segall

    Dan Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    > like to make it as short as possible but don't want to use
    > <http://tinyurl.com/>. I would prefer to put the ultimate location for
    > all the likely places on one html page. Ideally it the link would be
    > something like "mystite.com#gohere". Any suggestions?

    With hosting providers that let you create unlimited subdomains with
    redirects (Dreamhost does, for instance) you can set up
    link1.example.net, link2.example.net, and so on. Or, as somebody else
    suggested, you can do path-based redirects from example.net/link1,
    etc., using a .htaccess file (if it's an Apache server).

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Dec 26, 2005
  5. David Segall

    Rob McAninch Guest

    David Segall>:
    > I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    > like to make it as short as possible [...] Any suggestions?

    Well if you do this with a lot of links. Run them through a database.

    e.g. example.com/link?0001

    Where 0001 gets looked up in a database for its actual location. You
    could do it with Perl/PHP and MySQL or perhaps a simpler database or
    even a flat text file (but I'd look into using the Perl DBI from the
    beginning so you have room to grow from a text file to a RDBMS.

    --
    Rob McAninch
    http://rock13.com
    Rob McAninch, Dec 27, 2005
  6. David Segall wrote:

    > I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    > like to make it as short as possible but don't want to use
    > <http://tinyurl.com/>. I would prefer to put the ultimate location for
    > all the likely places on one html page. Ideally it the link would be
    > something like "mystite.com#gohere". Any suggestions?

    If your website is hosted on an apache server, you could put lines like

    Redirect /shorturl http://www.example.org/this/is/the/long/url.html

    into you're .htaccess file.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Dec 28, 2005
  7. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    Benjamin Niemann <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >
    >> I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    >> like to make it as short as possible but don't want to use
    >> <http://tinyurl.com/>. I would prefer to put the ultimate location for
    >> all the likely places on one html page. Ideally it the link would be
    >> something like "mystite.com#gohere". Any suggestions?

    >If your website is hosted on an apache server, you could put lines like
    >
    >Redirect /shorturl http://www.example.org/this/is/the/long/url.html
    >
    >into you're .htaccess file.

    It's actually a Tomcat server. Is there an equivalent?
    David Segall, Dec 28, 2005
  8. David Segall

    David Segall Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    >> like to make it as short as possible but don't want to use
    >> <http://tinyurl.com/>. I would prefer to put the ultimate location for
    >> all the likely places on one html page. Ideally it the link would be
    >> something like "mystite.com#gohere". Any suggestions?

    >With hosting providers that let you create unlimited subdomains with
    >redirects (Dreamhost does, for instance) you can set up
    >link1.example.net, link2.example.net, and so on.

    Thanks Dan, this works for me. I'm actually using ZoneEdit
    <http://www.zonedit.com/> because I don't have a fixed IP address and
    because it is free. I had already taken advantage of it's email
    forwarding but you inspired me to check it's subdomain forwarding.
    > Or, as somebody else
    >suggested, you can do path-based redirects from example.net/link1,
    >etc., using a .htaccess file (if it's an Apache server).

    I'm using Tomcat. I'll check out their options.
    David Segall, Dec 28, 2005
  9. David Segall

    Vhit Guest

    <alt.html , Rob McAninch , >
    <>
    <Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:57:26 -0500>

    > > I sometimes I post or email a link to a page on my web site. I would
    > > like to make it as short as possible [...] Any suggestions?

    > Well if you do this with a lot of links. Run them through a database.
    >
    > e.g. example.com/link?0001
    >
    > Where 0001 gets looked up in a database for its actual location. You
    > could do it with Perl/PHP and MySQL or perhaps a simpler database or
    > even a flat text file

    (below) I started at 1000000 and used flatfiles .

    Its not a high traffic website and no need to use mysql at this stage .

    --
    www.vhit.co.uk
    www.vhit.co.uk/?poll=1000017
    Vhit, Dec 30, 2005