    back online after a three month occultation due to a prolonged and
    ugly billing dispute with Libsyn. Maybe I can interview Vinay and
    have him tell us about the porting effort!

    Ron, Dec 2, 2011

  2. Ron, 02.12.2011 22:47:
    > It looks like Vinay Sajip has succeeded in porting Django to Python3
    > (in a shared code base for Python 3.2 and Python 2.7). This is an
    > astoundingly good job, done very fast and is big news.
    > See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/XjrX3FIPT-U
    > and the actual code is at Bitbucket https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/django
    >
    > With NumPy and SciPy already ported, and with Matplotlib almost there,
    > maybe PIL and others will follow shortly. This could be a turning
    > point, or a milestone, or whatever you want to call it. Vinay is a
    > hero who should be thanked and congratulated!

    Note that most of the work was done by Martin von Löwis, quite a while back
    in the early days of Python 3.x.

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PortingDjangoTo3k

    He also did a huge amount of lobbying to get the changes accepted before
    the time that the project originally envisioned. The original plans of the
    Django project were to only *start* the porting after dropping support for
    Python 2.5 somewhere in the future. Martin made it rather clear with his
    patch (and keeps reiterating it wherever he can) that you can support both
    in one code base, even in a project as large as Django.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Dec 3, 2011

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Thanks Stefan for clarifying that. I guess Martin deserves most of the
    credit.

    But I still admire how Sajip jumped in, and I especially admire how
    the core team accepted his work without taking a "Not Invented Here"
    attitude.

    I sure hope the port is accepted into the main trunk soon. There is
    just such a huge difference bewtween "90% done" and actually released.
    Often code is 90% done but is never finished. And Django has such
    enormous psychological significance for Python 3. Many important
    projects will never begin serious porting until after Django
    officially supports Python 3. And many Python folks will finally start
    to take Python 3 seriously only when Django does announce official
    support.

    Ron

    Ron, Dec 3, 2011
  4. Ron

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ron <> wrote:

    > Django has such
    > enormous psychological significance for Python 3. Many important
    > projects will never begin serious porting until after Django
    > officially supports Python 3. And many Python folks will finally start
    > to take Python 3 seriously only when Django does announce official
    > support.

    In a somewhat related topic, it looks like Mongodb will also be
    supporting Python 3 soon. It's on the roadmap for their 2.2 release
    (https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/PYTHON-84). There's no date announced
    yet, but extrapolating from past release schedules, I'd guess mid 2012.

    Roy Smith, Dec 3, 2011