Django - Rails killer comes...

Discussion in 'Python' started by JZ, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. JZ

    JZ Guest

    JZ, Jul 16, 2005

  2. JZ

    Joseph Chase Guest

    I can't wait to try this out. We'll see how it stacks up next to ROR.

    Joseph Chase, Jul 16, 2005

  3. On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 03:26 +0200, JZ wrote:
    > http://www.djangoproject.com/

    Hey, that is crazy shit!

    I really like the concept and will give it a try ASAP! I have searched
    for something like this some month ago but ended my search at ROR. I am
    not a python hacker but i know how to use it and i hope i will become
    better when trying this software.

    Thanks for your _open_ release! I love it!

    Regards,
    --
    Johannes Findeisen
    http://hanez.org/
    Johannes Findeisen, Jul 16, 2005
  4. JZ

    flab ba Guest

    "Rails Killer" is a rather high and mighty claim, and as such, it
    isn't unreasonable to ask for substantial evidence to back it up.

    Quoting directly from the web site, in the section "Meet Django"

    " ...Django is well-suited for developing content-management system ..."

    To me, this seems like it places itself in competition with Zope, not
    Rails.

    If I'm wrong, could somebody explain why this is a "Rails Killer?"

    Thanks,
    Flab

    flab ba, Jul 18, 2005
  5. JZ

    JZ Guest

    Dnia Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:52:44 -0700, flab ba napisa³(a):

    > To me, this seems like it places itself in competition with Zope, not
    > Rails.

    No. Zope is an application server, much more powerfull and complicated,
    with its own object database and total object approach to all elements of
    the system. Django is similiar to Rails or Subway rather than to Zope.

    > If I'm wrong, could somebody explain why this is a "Rails Killer?"

    Maybe Django is not strictly Rails killer (because if someone prefers Ruby
    to Python, he choose Ruby - and vice-versa) But Django is good alternative
    to Rails for those who prefer Python. Both use similiar approach, both was
    created in the same time, both use ORM, MVC etc.

    --
    JZ
    JZ, Jul 18, 2005