DJB hash function

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by sureshjayaram@gmail.com, May 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    When I searched for a good hash function for strings, I came across DJB
    hash function and found it serving my purpose. I wanted to use that,
    but I was unaware of the licensing/copyright issues. I sent a mail to
    DJB reg. this, but didn't get any reply.
    The info. i got is that DJB posted the hash function first to
    Comp.lang.c. Please find below the mail I sent to DJB. Let me know
    whether I can use it in my propreitary code.

    DJB,

    When I was searching for a good hash function for strings, I came to
    know about djb2 hash function (written by you a long back) and used by
    you in cdb. I tested it and found it has excellent distribution and
    speed. I want to use it.

    I couldn't find any license info. Please let me know whether I can use
    the hash algorithm in proprietary code or any licensing issues
    involved.

    Thanks for your time.

    Thanks,

    , May 20, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > When I searched for a good hash function for strings, I came across

    DJB
    > hash function and found it serving my purpose. I wanted to use that,
    > but I was unaware of the licensing/copyright issues. I sent a mail to
    > DJB reg. this, but didn't get any reply.
    > The info. i got is that DJB posted the hash function first to
    > Comp.lang.c. Please find below the mail I sent to DJB. Let me know
    > whether I can use it in my propreitary code.

    <snip>

    That's between you and him. It's offtopic in comp.lang.c. If you need
    to search comp.lang.c archives, use Google Groups.

    Mark F. Haigh

    Mark F. Haigh, May 20, 2005