DLL conflicts

pbd22

Hi.

If i have multiple DLLs that require the same library references to
run (for example, all using the MyCompany.Security) namespace and
referencing the same User class, how do I avoid a conflict when I am
finally adding the DLLs to my project?

I hope I explained myself well.

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> If i have multiple DLLs that require the same library references to
!> run (for example, all using the MyCompany.Security) namespace and
!> referencing the same User class, how do I avoid a conflict when I am
!> finally adding the DLLs to my project?

Why do you think that would create a DLL conflict ?

pbd22

re:
!> If i have multiple DLLs that require the same library references to
!> run (for example, all using the MyCompany.Security) namespace and
!> referencing the same User class, how do I avoid a conflict when I am
!> finally adding the DLLs to my project?

Why do you think that would create a DLL conflict ?

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en españolhttp://asp.net.do/foros/forums/
=================================

Well, maybe i have the wording wrong. But, when I compile a library
"into"
another library and then call the complied library from a class that
also references the library compiled into the DLL I, of course, get a
conflict.
There are two instances of the same class. So, I guess I am asking -
what is the most graceful way of handling such conditions?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> when I compile a library "into" another library and then call the complied library
!> from a class that also references the library compiled into the DLL I, of course,
!> get a conflict. There are two instances of the same class. So, I guess I am asking -
!> what is the most graceful way of handling such conditions?

Merge your classes into a single source file and eliminate duplicate class names.
Also, you can simply make sure you don't use the same class name in multiple source files.

re:
[...]

I like the idea of one DLL that contains all the classes and will
likely do that. But, I think the problem is that I have a web service
that must consume classes that are also consumed by the Web
project that calls the web service. In this case, I cannot use the
same "master" DLL for both the web service and the web project.
I think your second suggestion of renaming the classes (called by
the web service) is the only way forward that I can think of (and a
minor pain in the butt).

Thanks again.