dll getting locked in referencing project's bin

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by TS, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. TS

    TS Guest

    in my web project's bin folder, the dll, that comes from a project reference
    of a class library in same solution, can't be deleted. it says it has a
    sharing violation. i also cannot delete the .projdata file in the class
    library's obj directory. This is causing updates to the class library not
    getting seen in the web app.

    i ran filemon and it just says sharing violation but i dont' know why. i'm
    sure by closing & re-opening VS.net it will fix it, but i don't want to
    always have to do that. i've killed the worker process and restarted iis and
    they dont' help.

    What do i do?

    Also, what is the obj directory for?

    thanks a bunch!

    TS, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Have you killed the aspnet process?

    William LaMartin, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Hi TS,

    As for the class library project's output assembly, is it strong-named?
    Based on my experience, since strong-named assemblly is not copied to
    client application(which reference it)'s local location, and when the
    application use it do not shadow copy it , there will occur such locking
    issue. Also, ASP.NET web application won't shadow copy strong-named
    assembly, therefore if this is the case, you can try remove the strong-name
    on the class project assembly to see whether it helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 30, 2006
  4. the project is not building a strong name assemlbly. Sometimes killing the
    worker process works, sometimes it doesn't - sometimes i have to close the
    solution of close Vs.net.

    =?Utf-8?B?VFM=?=, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Thanks for your response TS,

    Seems a bit strange since non-storng-named assembly in private bin dir of
    asp.net application are always shadow copied. Have you ever changed the
    class library project's output directory path? by default, class library
    project will generate the output assembly and put it under the project's
    sub folder ( project\bin\debug), have you manually changed this path to
    another place, e.g: the ASP.NET application's private bin dir?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 1, 2006