DLLHOST.EXE Errors & "Ajax"

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Don Miller, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    I've been extensively modifying a web application (ASP, COM+) to take
    advantage of the XMLHTTP object for asynchronous requests (e.g. Ajax) on my
    dev machine (Win2KPro). I test the application from another machine on the
    network (or using IE, Firefox, etc. on the same machine). Everything seems
    to work fine (no errors anywhere) and the web application is snappy as
    intended. However, at the end of the day when I turn off my dev machine,
    many hours sometimes after I test the web app, right before it shut downs I
    get an error message about DLLHOST.EXE, something about an attempt to
    address something with the address location listed in hex. I don't get much
    time to read it before it shuts down. And about half the time when I get
    this error the night before, the hard disk is checked for data integrity the
    next morning on boot-up.

    I'm reluctant to move this web application to a production server with
    something going wrong consistently with DLLHOST.EXE and these asynchronous
    requests (that seem to be completed each time). I've checked the system
    error logs and they don't show anything specific to DLLHOST at the time of
    shutdown or any time else.

    Can someone educate me as to what these errors mean? And how to find out
    what is going on so I can fix it? Thanks.

    Don Miller, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Don Miller

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Try running IISRESET and see if you get the same error message (it may stay
    around longer).

    Do you have any custom components in use?

    Are you setting the intrinsic objects (request, response, etc) into local
    variables? If so set them to nothing before the page or component method
    ends.

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    > Try running IISRESET and see if you get the same error message (it may
    stay
    > around longer).

    Good idea. Would I have to use the command line or can I reset IIS with the
    IIS tools (Restart IIS...)

    > Do you have any custom components in use?

    About 20, and one third-party component. They've all been in use for about 5
    years without this particular error. I'm moving the new stuff (ajax) to
    another Win2K machine and see if the error pops up again. But the fact that
    it only shows up when I shut down puzzles me.

    > Are you setting the intrinsic objects (request, response, etc) into local
    > variables? If so set them to nothing before the page or component method
    > ends.

    I haven't put any objects at all into local variables (I thought that was a
    generally bad thing to do)

    Thanks for the help.

    Don Miller, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    "Mark Schupp" <> wrote in message
    > Try running IISRESET and see if you get the same error message (it may

    stay
    > around longer).

    I reset IIS manually and the DLLHOST error message did come up! I tried
    pressing the No button to debug but nothing happened.

    Does this mean anything to anybody? It certainly seems that this is related
    to IIS now.

    Don Miller, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    Here's more information that I'm hoping someone will know about. When I
    restarted IIS, now I got an application popup message in Event Viewer that
    has the text of the DLLHOST error message I get:

    Application popup: dllhost.exe - Application Error : The instruction at
    "0x779db683" referenced memory at "0x749f18e8". The memory could not be
    "read".

    Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

    Would this kind of error have anything to do with my programming?

    Don Miller, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Don Miller

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Don,

    We had similar errors with our application for a long time (they were
    considered a "nuisance" and not a reason for concern). We finally had time
    to track them down. In our case they were caused by setting the intrinsic
    objects (request, response, etc) into global variables within our custom
    DLLs so that internal code would have access to them. The problem was fixed
    by setting the variables to "nothing" in the Class_Terminate() method of the
    DLL (VB dlls). IIRC the problem did not show up until one of the Windows
    2000 service packs.

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Jul 22, 2005
  7. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    Thanks for the tip. I do set instrinsic objects to local variables (not
    global) in my VB dlls and set them to nothing for the last five years. I'll
    have to look again at any new code (that I can't think of when I used these
    objects). Haven't done a service pack in a while - just those monthly
    updates from MS.

    Don Miller, Jul 22, 2005
  8. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    Re: DLLHOST.EXE Errors & "Ajax" - Thanks

    Thanks again Mark. After using the DebuDiag tool from MS and with help from
    a MS support person in the IIS newsgroup, this was exactly the cause of the
    issue. Apparently this bug (that was addressed in SP4) affected local
    intrinsic objects as well (although the "bug" did enforce good programming
    practices).

    Don Miller, Jul 25, 2005
  9. Don Miller

    Don Miller Guest

    Re: DLLHOST.EXE Errors & "Ajax" - Thanks - Redux

    So, after installing SP4 and all rollups and setting all instrinsic ASP
    objects to nothing in my COM+ object, the problem recurred. Any more
    thoughts?

    Don Miller, Jul 27, 2005