dllhost flake here and there to 100% CPU utilization.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Imran, Oct 6, 2008.

  1. Imran

    Imran Guest

    Hi

    I having a bit of a problem on our Web server, we are facing this issue for
    almost more then 5 years now, we have done lot of research on this many
    google query and reples most of them refer to infinite look, open loop etc
    etc in programming we have check everything no programming issue at all all
    pages worksgreat... some time in months some time in week some time more
    then 2-4 time in week DLLHOST flakes out and utilize 100% CPU which causes
    all sites to stop working even we can not get in to server through vpn to
    kill the process some time we manage in early stage where its start doing
    this and kill from task manager and all back to normal, some time need hard
    reboot.. so ideally we are loosing business. as per our programmer he had
    tried moving the site to diff server also but same issue there so here is
    dome word from programmer,

    A classic asp page is written on Jscript, uses ADODB.command. First time
    deployed in 2003 and works usually fine. Occasionally this page is causing
    dllhost.exe to run at 100% cpu.

    All internal attempts to replicate the problem during tests failed. Last 5
    years of monitoring show that the page actually finishes working and returns
    all the output but doesn't close the http connection and keeps the
    dllhost.exe running on 100% cpu.

    Your help to resolve this issue will be highly appriciated.
    --
    -----------------
    Thank you,

    Imran
    Network Administrator
    Imran, Oct 6, 2008

  2. Imran

    Tiago Halm Guest

    some thoughts ...

    When dllhost gets to 100%, do a dump on the process with ADPlus or
    DebugDiag, then run it thought DebugDiag analysis, or WinDbg. DebugDiag also
    allows you to monitor the full IIS processes at the same time - w3wp.exe,
    inetinfo.exe, dllhost.exe and dump all of them at once.

    Also useful is to, before the dump, view the process properties with
    ProcExp.exe (SysInternals Suite), look for abnormal usage (connections,
    handles, other ...). Look at event viewer, look at HTTPERR (if IIS6).

    Tiago Halm

    Tiago Halm, Oct 7, 2008