DNS question (for an ASP.NET website)

bizsolutiondev

Hi all,

I have a DNS related question; this falls more under networking than
anything else.

NetSol is our domain registrar and we are using their email. Using
their web forward, our web traffic is going to a soon to be obsolecent
web host.

Is it possible to use a combination of web forwarding and configuration
of the web server, so that requests for www.ourdomain.com are routed to
the web server? The webserver can be configured to receive requests
for THAT domain, even if our web host doesn't own the name servers for
our domain, right? Unless I am missing something here, this should be
feasible / possible.

To summarize my proposed solution:
1.) NetSol would continue to be our domain registrar
2.) NetSol owns the Name Servers for our domain
3.) We use NetSol's Email (this is a fixed variable)
4.) We use Web Forwarding to aim traffic to our webserver at our
webhost
5.) Our web server, with its specific IP Address on the Internet, then
routes requests for our domain-web to our web application. In IIS 5.0
this is under the Host Header Name.

Is there a reason why this would not work?

Best Regards,
A.

bizsolutiondev

<b>For clarity, I made a couple of changes to the original post:</b>

Hi all,

I have a DNS related question; this falls more under networking than
anything else.

NetSol is our domain registrar and we are using their email. We have a
new website that is on the internet, but not mapped to by our domain
name.

Is it possible to use a combination of web forwarding and configuration
of web server, so that requests for www.ourdomain.com are routed to
the web server? The webserver can be configured to receive requests
for THAT domain, even if our web host doesn't own the name servers for
our domain, right? Unless I am missing something here, this should be
feasible / possible.

To summarize my proposed solution:
1.) NetSol would continue to be our domain registrar
2.) NetSol owns the Name Servers for our domain
3.) We use NetSol's Email (this is a fixed variable)
4.) We use Web Forwarding to aim traffic to our webserver at our
webhost
5.) Our web server, with its specific IP Address on the Internet, then
routes requests for our domain-web to our web application. In IIS 5.0
I thank this falls under the Host Header Name of Advance IP
configuration.

I ran a simulation, using my Hosts file to handle DNS resolution and I
added my Domain with my machine IP address to the Host Header. It
resolved just fine...

Is there a reason why this would not work with our internet domain
registrar?

Best Regards,
A.