DNS questions...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Kian Goh, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Kian Goh

    Kian Goh Guest

    Hi,

    I might not asking question in the right place, but I really hope somebody
    could answer my questions.

    I bought my Domain Name from a reseller and have my web hosting with them
    about 2 years ago. Recently, I switch to another web hosting company. I went
    to my reseller and asked for the right to edit the DNS pointing information.

    They gave me user name and password, and a link as below:
    https://rr-n1-tor.opensrs.net/manage/
    From the page, I can manage my own info. Seems to me I can have more control
    on my Domain Name.

    My question is:
    - Can I fully manage the Domain Name by myself? (i.e. I can renew my Domain
    Name bypassing reseller..etc.) Would it be cheaper as I only own one domain
    name?
    - Where can I find useful information regarding to this kind of issue? When
    I search for "Domain Name", I got thousands of reseller pages.

    Thanks,
    Kian
    Kian Goh, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Kian Goh wrote:

    > I bought my Domain Name from a reseller and have my web hosting with them
    > about 2 years ago. Recently, I switch to another web hosting company. I went
    > to my reseller and asked for the right to edit the DNS pointing information.

    ok, that's their DNS server....

    > They gave me user name and password, and a link as below:
    > https://rr-n1-tor.opensrs.net/manage/

    which we cannot see because we have no password and username.

    > From the page, I can manage my own info. Seems to me I can have more control
    > on my Domain Name.

    your domain on their DNS server, ok.

    > My question is:
    > - Can I fully manage the Domain Name by myself? (i.e. I can renew my Domain

    sure.

    > Name bypassing reseller..etc.) Would it be cheaper as I only own one domain
    > name?
    > - Where can I find useful information regarding to this kind of issue? When
    > I search for "Domain Name", I got thousands of reseller pages.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kian

    eeek!

    ok. here goes...

    you need to go to a registrar like register.com, networksolutions.com,
    or some other one, there are lots of them and get a
    name.com/.org/.whatever
    you can't do that your self. you have to pay them. it's only thirty
    bucks a year. they need to point to a DNS server.
    from then on you are free to do what you wish. you can have the
    registrar point to you own DNS server or a hosting company's DNS server.
    Ben Dover - Mental Patient 0057, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Kian Goh

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ben Dover - Mental Patient 0057
    <-Hospital.com> writing in

    > eeek!
    >
    > ok. here goes...
    >
    > you need to go to a registrar like register.com, networksolutions.com,
    > or some other one, there are lots of them and get a
    > name.com/.org/.whatever
    > you can't do that your self. you have to pay them. it's only thirty
    > bucks a year. they need to point to a DNS server.
    > from then on you are free to do what you wish. you can have the
    > registrar point to you own DNS server or a hosting company's DNS server.

    Or go to http://www.godaddy.com for $8.95 a year. Been using them for a
    while, never had any complaints.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Kian Goh

    Denise Enck Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > Or go to http://www.godaddy.com for $8.95 a year. Been using them for a
    > while, never had any complaints.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell

    Yes. If you don't have complete control of your DNS, if you don't want to
    bother with the reseller anymore, why not transfer your domain name to a
    registrar that will let you have full control?

    GoDaddy is easy to use, cheap & reliable. Go there, click on "risk free
    transfers" to start the process. It is only $7.75 to transfer your domain
    name to GoDaddy, and that transfer fee includes a one-year extension of your
    registration. Quite a deal!

    Just email me if you have questions or problems, I've done a number of
    transfers like this for myself & for clients - would be glad to help.

    best,
    Denise

    Denise Enck, Sep 3, 2003
  5. "Kian Goh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I might not asking question in the right place, but I really hope somebody
    > could answer my questions.
    >
    > I bought my Domain Name from a reseller and have my web hosting with them
    > about 2 years ago. Recently, I switch to another web hosting company. I

    went
    > to my reseller and asked for the right to edit the DNS pointing

    information.

    > They gave me user name and password, and a link as below:
    > https://rr-n1-tor.opensrs.net/manage/
    > From the page, I can manage my own info. Seems to me I can have more

    control
    > on my Domain Name.
    >
    > My question is:
    > - Can I fully manage the Domain Name by myself? (i.e. I can renew my

    Domain
    > Name bypassing reseller..etc.) Would it be cheaper as I only own one

    domain
    > name?
    > - Where can I find useful information regarding to this kind of issue?

    When
    > I search for "Domain Name", I got thousands of reseller pages.

    That means your domain name is registered with openSRS/Tucows. My opinion
    is that openSRS/Tucows does not offer as much control or features as most
    other registrars. You should look into transferring your domain name to a
    company that offers at least DNS control, URL redirection, Mail redirect,
    etc. As far as I know, openSRS only lets you edit your contact information
    and the nameservers. They won't even allow you to lock or unlock your own
    domain, you have to go through the reseller.

    There really is no need to pay more than about $15 per year for domain name
    registration.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com