DNS Round Robin and ViewState

Guest

Hi All.

I have a web site that is currently using DNS round robin as a poor man's
load balancer. Some users are receiving an 'Unable to Validate Data' error
when posting back to the server. I've been assured by my network guys that
the client will not go to another IP address for the site for the life of the
browser session. Is this true?

I cannot reproduce this problem in my dev environment which does not have
dns round robin setup so it has been dificult to test solutions. Should I
look to have each searver using the same <machineKey .../> or something
similar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bruce barker

dns round robin supplies a list of ipaddress for the dns and reorders the
list on each dns request. most modern network layers (unix,nt,etc) cache the
dns list, and do the round robin themselves. this is also true for IE (or
any user of wininet). IE will round robin each request (even the ones on the
same page like image or javascript file fetch).

so yes, you must setup the same machine keys, configure as a webfarm as
there is no ip affinity.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)