Do any of you get burned out with java and programming in general?

Lee Fesperman

Superdude said:
Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

I'm in my 42nd year of professional programming and never had the problem. However, I
always try to challenge myself and try something new (technique, design-pattern, ...)
Perhaps it has to do with the projects you're working on and the people you're working
with.

Of course, I'm probably a oddball; I even like debugging ;^)

JQ

Superdude said:
Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

Actually, Java's allowed me to very rarely get burned out. There are so
many facets to the language and VM structures and native toolkitting
that no on the Java front.

In terms of coping with programming in general, yes I've been burned out
MANY times. You have to keep it new. When you get burned out, in my
opinion, you need to take the professional time to explore something new.

One day, for instance, I SWORE there was a better enterprise object
solution than the EJB structures as I was so fed up with J2EE/EJB
deployment that I could spit. (I used to do a lot of work w/ the San
Francisco project before J2EE). I coded my own app server, persistence
layer, and all other facilities needed. At the end of this excursion I
almost came full circle and had basically a hacked version of EJB. It
was eye opening that a lot of the silly structures ended up making sense
after being faced with the reality of reference implementations of your
own design.

Does It Matter

Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

Hasn't happened to me yet. Mind you, after 21 years of programming I have
used more languages than just Java. A lot of the people I first started
programming with are still out there programming away.

It has only been recently that I have been working with people that get
burnt out. One guy quit to create a comic book series. Another guy quit to
become a doctor. Third guy quit to become an English teacher in Japan.
Most these guys programmed only one language and worked professionally for
3 to 6 years after graduating.

Mind you, over 22 years ago I was a pressman and typesetter. I did that
for 3 years got tired of it and took up computers. You have to ask
yourself why you got into programming. Was it really a good idea? 22 years
ago a 5-colour pressman working in a unionized shop could make $20/hour (a
lot of money back then). Most my friends made $2 to $3/hour. That is why I
wanted to be a pressman. The money is just not enough though. Eight hours
a day, every day for a few years and you just hate your job. Just wasn't
challenging anymore. No amount of money made me happy.