  1. Superdude

    Superdude Guest

    Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.
    Superdude, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Superdude wrote:

    > Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

    I'm in my 42nd year of professional programming and never had the problem. However, I
    always try to challenge myself and try something new (technique, design-pattern, ...)
    Perhaps it has to do with the projects you're working on and the people you're working
    with.

    Of course, I'm probably a oddball; I even like debugging ;^)

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!
    Lee Fesperman, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Superdude

    JQ Guest

    Superdude wrote:
    > Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

    Actually, Java's allowed me to very rarely get burned out. There are so
    many facets to the language and VM structures and native toolkitting
    that no on the Java front.

    In terms of coping with programming in general, yes I've been burned out
    MANY times. You have to keep it new. When you get burned out, in my
    opinion, you need to take the professional time to explore something new.

    One day, for instance, I SWORE there was a better enterprise object
    solution than the EJB structures as I was so fed up with J2EE/EJB
    deployment that I could spit. (I used to do a lot of work w/ the San
    Francisco project before J2EE). I coded my own app server, persistence
    layer, and all other facilities needed. At the end of this excursion I
    almost came full circle and had basically a hacked version of EJB. It
    was eye opening that a lot of the silly structures ended up making sense
    after being faced with the reality of reference implementations of your
    own design.

    --
    JQ
    http://xepoch.com
    JQ, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Superdude

    EulerTourist Guest

    JQ;

    That big string of 1's and 0's on your website, what is it?

    EulerTourist, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Superdude

    Hal Rosser Guest

    when it stops being fun - we quit
    simple as that

    "Superdude" <> wrote in message
    > Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

    ---
    Hal Rosser, Aug 10, 2004
  6. On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Superdude wrote:

    > Just wondering how you cope and how you get back on the horse.

    Hasn't happened to me yet. Mind you, after 21 years of programming I have
    used more languages than just Java. A lot of the people I first started
    programming with are still out there programming away.

    It has only been recently that I have been working with people that get
    burnt out. One guy quit to create a comic book series. Another guy quit to
    become a doctor. Third guy quit to become an English teacher in Japan.
    Most these guys programmed only one language and worked professionally for
    3 to 6 years after graduating.

    Mind you, over 22 years ago I was a pressman and typesetter. I did that
    for 3 years got tired of it and took up computers. You have to ask
    yourself why you got into programming. Was it really a good idea? 22 years
    ago a 5-colour pressman working in a unionized shop could make $20/hour (a
    lot of money back then). Most my friends made $2 to $3/hour. That is why I
    wanted to be a pressman. The money is just not enough though. Eight hours
    a day, every day for a few years and you just hate your job. Just wasn't
    challenging anymore. No amount of money made me happy.

    Don't send e-mail to
    Does It Matter, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Superdude

    JQ Guest

    EulerTourist wrote:
    > That big string of 1's and 0's on your website, what is it?

    Umm, not sure. I don't manage it. I don't see any on there?

    --
    JQ
    http://xepoch.com
    JQ, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Superdude

    EulerTourist Guest

    have a look at the source

    EulerTourist, Aug 13, 2004
  9. Superdude

    JQ Guest

    EulerTourist wrote:

    > have a look at the source

    Okay, I see what you mean. Assume it's 7 bit characters and see what it
    reads in ASCII. ;-)

    --
    JQ
    JQ, Aug 16, 2004