Do cached dynamically-compiled classes and assemblies expire?

BigDave

Hi all,

We have the desire to improve the "first hit lag" issue our their
still low-volume asp.net 2.0 site.

I maintain that the app is being unloaded from IIS 6 due to idleness.
However, our web host maintains that we should pre-compile the site.

I know that pre-compiling will help with the first-hit after an update
to the site; but from that point forward, I wouldn't think it will
help because I'm not aware that dynamically-compiled classes and
assemblies are ever expired. Any thoughts on this?

We are seeing the "first hit lag" at various times each day (we update
the site no more than once a week).

BTW, to potentially address the IIS unloading, I've tried
"<httpRuntime shutdownTimeout="43200" />" in the web.config, and am
assessing the affect of this.

Thanks very much,
Dave

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Hi Dave,

I'd think your best strategy would be to ensure the site doesn't get idled.
You can hit the site occasionally with an HTTP ping of some sort. The idle
timeout in web.config is not the issue - its the timeout on the Application
Pool in IIS 6 and most likely it's set to 20 minutes.

I tend to use a pinging tool on all of my sites to check both for ensuring
the site is live and returning expected results as well as making sure that
the sites don't idle out. I use a tool called Web Monitor (yeah from my own
company <s>) but it's easy to set something up with task manager if all
you're after is pinging.

+++ Rick ---