Do I need IIS 6 in order to create a ASP.Net web site ?

Mystery

I have a Win2K server running the latest v5 IIS. If I install the .net
framework, will this let me serve asp.net web pages, or do I need to upgrade
to Server 2003 and IIS 6 ??

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've only ever needed to use good
ol'fashioned ASP in the past ! If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!

Hermit Dave

win2k IIS 5 will do...

win2k3 is a bit well thought... but its your choice...

HTH

HD

Carl Prothman [MVP]

Mystery said:
Sorry for the newbie question, but I've only ever needed to use good
ol'fashioned ASP in the past! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Barry,
Classic ASP is broken! ;-) At least you have to write more classic ASP code
than with ASP.NET code. For example with ASP.NET, you no longer have to
pull the value(s) out of the FORM variable(s) on POSTBACK, and then repopulate
the controls! ASP.NET does this for you automatically now!

Plus the state of each WebControl / WebPage are controlled for you automatically
now by ASP.NET. For example the DropDown Item selection (state) is maintained
for you by ASP.NET on POSTBACK. Hence you no longer need to write the code
to re-select the user selected dropdown item on POSTBACK!

Plus you no longer need to use Response.Write calls. With ASP.NET, you just
read/write to/from the WebControl's properties. e.g. txtLastName.Text = "Prothman"

Plus now you have compiled code in ASP.NET (either 'in-line' with ASPX file,
which is compiled at run-time, hence no DLL, just upload new ASPX page),
or in '*.vb' or '*.cs' code-behind files, which get compiled into a Project DLL
in the BIN directory. Either way, no more slow VBScript code! ;-)

My recommendation is to move to ASP.NET with .NET Framework 1.1
and SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 machines with IIS 6.0.

For more ASP.NET Paradigm Shifts, check out the following::
http://www.able-consulting.com/dotnet/aspnet/asp_aspnet_files/frame.htm

lewi

I have a Win2K server running the latest v5 IIS. If I install the .net
framework, will this let me serve asp.net web pages, or do I need to upgrade
to Server 2003 and IIS 6 ??
ASP.NET apps work fine for me with...

* Win2000 Advandance Server(thus IIS 5.0)...
* VS.NET 2002 Pro...
* MSDE - Mini SQL 2000 Server...

It took me a while to figure out how to setup IIS website before VS.NET
could fully setup an ASP.NET app, but now all works fine...