Do I need Python to run Blender correctly?

Discussion in 'Python' started by AKA gray asphalt, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    track?
    AKA gray asphalt, Jan 25, 2007

  2. AKA gray asphalt

    Guest

    On Jan 25, 9:25 am, "AKA gray asphalt" <>
    wrote:
    > I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    > track?

    Don't worry, Blender includes its own bundled Python interpreter, which
    is usually one version behind; just leave it alone.

    Lorenzo Gatti
    , Jan 25, 2007

  3. AKA gray asphalt

    Guest

    On Jan 25, 5:47 pm, wrote:
    > On Jan 25, 9:25 am, "AKA gray asphalt" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    > > track?

    > Don't worry, Blender includes its own bundled Python interpreter, which
    > is usually one version behind; just leave it alone.
    >
    > Lorenzo Gatti

    Also note that only standard modules bundled in the Blender package are
    available. And extension modules e.g. numpy can't be installed into it.
    You must have the same version of python as the one in Blender.
    Starting blender from a terminal told me that.

    Happy designing!
    Hieu
    , Jan 25, 2007
  4. AKA gray asphalt

    John Nagle Guest

    AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    > I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    > track?

    Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
    write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
    you'll never figure Blender out.

    John Nagle
    John Nagle, Jan 25, 2007
  5. AKA gray asphalt

    Boris Borcic Guest

    wrote:
    > Also note that only standard modules bundled in the Blender package are
    > available. And extension modules e.g. numpy can't be installed into it.

    Not my experience, I've installed and used numpy (or was it Numeric ?) with
    Blender Python a couple years ago.

    YMMV, Boris Borcic
    Boris Borcic, Jan 25, 2007
  6. "John Nagle" <> wrote in message
    > AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    >> I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    >> track?

    > Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
    > write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
    > you'll never figure Blender out.
    >
    > John Nagle

    Will do. Thanks.
    AKA gray asphalt, Jan 28, 2007
  7. "John Nagle" <> wrote in message
    > AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    >> I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    >> track?

    > Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
    > write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
    > you'll never figure Blender out.
    >
    > John Nagle

    I'm thinking about not upgrading "Strata 3D" because it still doesn't export
    textures with obj files and it just created an undo of more than one action,
    believe it or not... Am I expectiong too much of a $400+ program, to export
    textures with obj files? Does Blender do this? I see the BBook on Amazon for
    $30. That's probably my best bet, no?
    AKA gray asphalt, Jan 28, 2007
  8. AKA gray asphalt

    John Nagle Guest

    AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    > "John Nagle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    >>
    >>>I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
    >>>track?

    >> Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
    >>write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
    >>you'll never figure Blender out.
    >>
    >>John Nagle

    > I'm thinking about not upgrading "Strata 3D" because it still doesn't export
    > textures with obj files and it just created an undo of more than one action,
    > believe it or not... Am I expectiong too much of a $400+ program, to export
    > textures with obj files? Does Blender do this? I see the BBook on Amazon for
    > $30. That's probably my best bet, no?

    Blender has considerable power, but ease of use is a problem. The
    hotkey listing in the manual is 29 pages.
    John Nagle, Jan 28, 2007
  9. "John Nagle" <> wrote in message
    > AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    >> "John Nagle" <> wrote in message

    >>> Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
    >>>write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
    >>>you'll never figure Blender out.
    >>>
    >>>John Nagle

    >> I'm thinking about not upgrading "Strata 3D" because it still doesn't
    >> export textures with obj files and it just created an undo of more than
    >> one action, believe it or not... Am I expectiong too much of a $400+
    >> program, to export textures with obj files? Does Blender do this? I see
    >> the BBook on Amazon for $30. That's probably my best bet, no?

    > Blender has considerable power, but ease of use is a problem. The
    > hotkey listing in the manual is 29 pages.

    Is the manual you refer to the group project on blender.org or the $ manual
    like the one on Ebay?
    AKA gray asphalt, Jan 28, 2007
  10. AKA gray asphalt

    John Nagle Guest

    AKA gray asphalt wrote:
    > "John Nagle" <> wrote in message

    > Is the manual you refer to the group project on blender.org or the $ manual
    > like the one on Ebay?

    The "Blender 2.3 Guide" book. Also, if you're going to program the thing,
    the "Blender GameKit" book is a big help.

    Unless you have two screens, the online manual gets in your way.

    This really should go in a Blender newsgroup or forum.

    John Nagle
    John Nagle, Jan 28, 2007
  11. I think you're right. I'll find a blender forum. Thanks for your help.
    : -)

    AKA gray asphalt, Jan 29, 2007