Do I need Python to run Blender correctly?

AKA gray asphalt

I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
track?

gatti

I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
track?

Don't worry, Blender includes its own bundled Python interpreter, which
is usually one version behind; just leave it alone.

Lorenzo Gatti

Hieu.D.Hoang

Don't worry, Blender includes its own bundled Python interpreter, which
is usually one version behind; just leave it alone.

Lorenzo Gatti

Also note that only standard modules bundled in the Blender package are
available. And extension modules e.g. numpy can't be installed into it.
You must have the same version of python as the one in Blender.
Starting blender from a terminal told me that.

Happy designing!
Hieu

John Nagle

AKA said:
I downloaded Blender but there was no link for python. Am I on the right
track?

Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
you'll never figure Blender out.

John Nagle

Boris Borcic

> Also note that only standard modules bundled in the Blender package are
> available. And extension modules e.g. numpy can't be installed into it.

Not my experience, I've installed and used numpy (or was it Numeric ?) with
Blender Python a couple years ago.

YMMV, Boris Borcic

AKA gray asphalt

John Nagle said:
Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
you'll never figure Blender out.

John Nagle

Will do. Thanks.

AKA gray asphalt

John Nagle said:
Blender doesn't require Python, but if you have Python, you can
write plug-ins for Blender. Get "The Blender Book"; otherwise
you'll never figure Blender out.

John Nagle

I'm thinking about not upgrading "Strata 3D" because it still doesn't export
textures with obj files and it just created an undo of more than one action,
believe it or not... Am I expectiong too much of a $400+ program, to export
textures with obj files? Does Blender do this? I see the BBook on Amazon for
$30. That's probably my best bet, no?

John Nagle

AKA said:
I'm thinking about not upgrading "Strata 3D" because it still doesn't export
textures with obj files and it just created an undo of more than one action,
believe it or not... Am I expectiong too much of a $400+ program, to export
textures with obj files? Does Blender do this? I see the BBook on Amazon for
$30. That's probably my best bet, no?

Blender has considerable power, but ease of use is a problem. The
hotkey listing in the manual is 29 pages.

AKA gray asphalt

John Nagle said:
Blender has considerable power, but ease of use is a problem. The
hotkey listing in the manual is 29 pages.

Is the manual you refer to the group project on blender.org or the $ manual
like the one on Ebay?

John Nagle

AKA said:
Is the manual you refer to the group project on blender.org or the $ manual
like the one on Ebay?
The "Blender 2.3 Guide" book. Also, if you're going to program the thing,
the "Blender GameKit" book is a big help.

Unless you have two screens, the online manual gets in your way.

This really should go in a Blender newsgroup or forum.

John Nagle