Do I need to use JRuby to access an remote oracle DB with JDBC ?

wbsurfver

When I try to connect to a remote oracle DB using activerecord oci8, I
get the error below.

I can connect with dbvisualizer tool using a JDBC connection. I'm not
on an officialy sanctioned project and can't really bug the sys admins
or anyone to configure me something on the remote server. If I want to
try to connect in ruby using JDBC, I'm guessing I may have to use
JRuby otherwise it won't work ?

C:\rb-play>ar_connect_ss.rb
env.c:257:in oci8lib.so: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently
know of serv
ice requested in connect descriptor (OCIError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:228:in
`initialize'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/
active_recor
d/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:585:in `new'

Robert Klemme

2007/11/15 said:
When I try to connect to a remote oracle DB using activerecord oci8, I
get the error below.

I can connect with dbvisualizer tool using a JDBC connection. I'm not
on an officialy sanctioned project and can't really bug the sys admins
or anyone to configure me something on the remote server. If I want to
try to connect in ruby using JDBC, I'm guessing I may have to use
JRuby otherwise it won't work ?

Well, if you want to use JDBC you must be on a JVM. As you probably
know there are several options (aka programming languages) that will
work - including but not limited to Java. :)
C:\rb-play>ar_connect_ss.rb
env.c:257:in oci8lib.so: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently
know of serv
ice requested in connect descriptor (OCIError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:228:in
`initialize'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/
active_recor
d/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:585:in `new'

This might as well be an issue with your local connection
configuration. Do you have ORACLE_HOME set appropriately and do you
have your tnsnames.ora properly edited?

Cheers

robert

Xavier Noria

When I try to connect to a remote oracle DB using activerecord oci8, I
get the error below.

I can connect with dbvisualizer tool using a JDBC connection. I'm not
on an officialy sanctioned project and can't really bug the sys admins
or anyone to configure me something on the remote server. If I want to
try to connect in ruby using JDBC, I'm guessing I may have to use
JRuby otherwise it won't work ?

Probably the Java application is using the thin driver.

If you have the Oracle client installed you need to configure it
properly (ORACLE_HOME, tnsnames.ora). Otherwise JRuby + driver thin is
an option, yes.

-- fxn