    but remember back thing perl was the big thing. it was used for CGi
    scripts. is it still used a lot? I seem to read about PHP a lot now.
    Has that replaced Perl and are CGI Scripts still used?

    MarkW, Aug 17, 2006

  2. MarkW

    John Bokma Guest

    MarkW <> wrote:

    > I hope this is the correct place to post this:
    > I am developing a web site for a e-commerce business I will be
    > running. The site I'm setting up will be 50% store, 50% content. I'm
    > not sure which shopping cart I'll be using yet (am looking at
    > os-commerce and miva) but the other part will be content. I will be
    > writing reviews of products, articles on the industry, and someday may
    > have some blogging and forums and advertising. I have to add that I
    > am not much into programming and I want a good web site but most of
    > all what is important to me is ease of use and a easy to update web
    > page. I will be using Macromeda Studio 8 to develop it (dreamweaver
    > and flash)

    Look for an application that runs on your website. Dreamweaver is more a
    design tool IIRC so you might want to do the design work in DW, and
    transfer the final design to the template system that such a web
    application uses. For blogging you might want to check out WordPress, for
    forums phpBB is very popular, but there might be better applications that
    suit you.

    Most shopping systems come with a CMS, and hence can be considered equal
    to the "web application" I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Shopping
    around (no pun intended) in the right places (hence not here) might help
    you in the decision process.

    > As for perl, years ago I looked at writing web pages. I never did it
    > but remember back thing perl was the big thing. it was used for CGi
    > scripts. is it still used a lot? I seem to read about PHP a lot now.
    > Has that replaced Perl and are CGI Scripts still used?

    I have no idea how you want to measure a lot. Slashdot is a very big
    website with a lot of visitors and uses Perl. If you mean do a large
    percentage of websites still use Perl for dynamic pages I am afraid the
    answer is no. PHP has replaced a lot of Perl. Note that Perl is not
    limited to CGI on websites, there is also mod_perl.

    And recently Perl is probably replaced more by frameworks like Ruby on
    Rails.

    John Bokma, Aug 17, 2006

  3. MarkW

    MarkW Guest

    Thank you for the response. I will do most research on off the shelf
    e-commerce solutions and as well will look at the products you
    mentioned.

    MarkW, Aug 17, 2006