Do I still need those .aspx page if I choose "Merge all outputs toa single assembly" in Web Deployme

john sun

Hi, Dear gurus,

In the web deployment project, there is one option called "Output
Assemblies page".

The first choice is "Merge all outputs to a single assembly", According
to MSDN,

"Merges all the output assemblies from the compiler into a single
assembly. This setting is equivalent to the -o assemblyname option of
the aspnet_merge.exe command. This results in the same behavior that
Visual Studio .NET 2003 supports, where one assembly is generated for
each Web project."

I assume it means all the .aspx page are already compiled into that dll,
so do I still need to deploy the .aspx page.

My experiment is "yes", but MSDN seems suggests I just need to deploy
the dll. Asp.net will generate the right .aspx page for me automatically.

thanks,
J.W.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
do I still need to deploy the .aspx page

What happens if you don't upload the aspx pages ?

Try it.

If the application runs without aspx pages, you don't need to upload them.
If the application doesn't run without aspx pages, you need to upload them.

Tim Mackey

hi JW,
yes you need the aspx pages. 'outputs' in terms of a web project refers to
compiled outputs, e.g. code behind and assemblies, so in that sense it does
merge all the outputs. without the aspx pages, IIS cannot respond to
requests for a given URL.
good luck
tim