Do programmers enjoy video tutorial or written tutorial ?

Tom Anderson

Now who will be the first to link the topics of "sex" and "video tutorial" in
a way that many here might find enlightening?

Actually, a guy at a recent Rails conference did something much along
those lines. It didn't go down well in all quarters.

tom

Linuxmank

Actually, a guy at a recent Rails conference did something much along
those lines. It didn't go down well in all quarters.

tom

Tom,

Please comment on the blog. I will appreciate that

Thanks

Lew

Linuxmank said:
Please comment on the blog. I will appreciate that

OK, I looked at your blog. The good news is that it's not plagiarized. The
bad news is that it reads like it was written by a not-very-precocious
eight-year-old. The impenetrable writing might be excusable if there were any
useful content in the blog, but there isn't, really. The site asks me to
enable no fewer than twelve script sources, nearly all of them counters and
other adware-style sources.

I am so glad I use NoScript.

Oh, and the page design is weak.

If you want to write a useful blog, clean up the grammar and spelling, put
some useful content in there, and get rid of the ad-bloat and abundance of
toxic scripting. Right now the blog is garbage.

Linuxmank

OK, I looked at your blog.  The good news is that it's not plagiarized.  The
bad news is that it reads like it was written by a not-very-precocious
eight-year-old.  The impenetrable writing might be excusable if there were any
useful content in the blog, but there isn't, really.  The site asks me to
enable no fewer than twelve script sources, nearly all of them counters and
other adware-style sources.

I am so glad I use NoScript.

Oh, and the page design is weak.

If you want to write a useful blog, clean up the grammar and spelling, put
some useful content in there, and get rid of the ad-bloat and abundance of
toxic scripting.  Right now the blog is garbage.

Ah Lew, Lew, Lew

I reckon you are a permanent resident google groups.
And thanks for your abusive language on my other post on java gui
group
http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.lang.java.gui/browse_thread/thread/0ea4462d12625d92?hl=en

My blog have more than 100 happy subscribers and for them my blog is
good information provider. So I will NEVER ever going to change the
layout and my blogging style.

But I wish all the happiness you should have from your little website
which you been moaning about in my two post.

Good Luck Buddy

Bill McCleary

Andrew said:
OTOH to all this, I suspect video tutorials will
become more popular (than they are now) over time.

The 'younger people' have a less finely attuned sense
of appreciating just how many bytes are involved in
downloading a video.

That's because it costs less per byte to schlep data around than it once
did.
The popularity of streamed video
& music, as well as the mostly wasted bandwidth of
YouTube (wasted in the sense the content is not saved,
just viewed & discarded)

That's what DownloadHelper is there to fix.
supports that most web surfers
these days would not think twice about downloading N
Meg of video, just to learn how to hard-boil an egg.

There might also be a slight 'younger people prefer
moving pictures' aspect to it, but I cannot see that
applying too much to people who are actually capable
of programming (as opposed to the myriads that might
try).

I agree that video tutorials are of little use for tasks that don't have
a visual component. But short ones can be useful for showing someone
around an unfamiliar GUI or for physical tasks like improving one's golf
swing.

Rob

Dear Member,

I am just curious to know, do programmers like video tutorial or
written tutorial in general ?
Any feedback from programmers are much appreciated.

Many Thanks

IMHO, it would great to have both. A cool written presentation but
with some on-screen video is the best approach. Sometimes just
watching pre-recorded video with voice over can show things much
faster than reading. Obviously screen shots and diagrams are great
too. So my vote, both.

Thx
Rob

Arne Vajhøj

bugbear said:
You copied this thread to your blog without attribution to USENET.

Do you think that's honest?

I can not see why it should be dishonest.

Posting to usenet is posting to the entire world - usenet,
GG, various other web sites carrying the group and also
potentially be quoted on a blog.

It would be rather confusing for the reader if it
is not clearly defined in what context the people are
saying what they are saying.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Linuxmank said:

Not very well done.

A clear indication of group name, subject and time period would
be nice if someone wanted to see the unedited material.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Linuxmank said:
Please comment on the blog. I will appreciate that

Please don't - please comment here.

This group is read by many more people than the blog.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Linuxmank said:
My blog have more than 100 happy subscribers and for them my blog is
good information provider.

You can see that you have 100 subscribers. I doubt that you know
much about their happiness.
So I will NEVER ever going to change the
layout and my blogging style.

Given the dynamic nature of the web, then that means guaranteed failure
in a few years.
But I wish all the happiness you should have from your little website
which you been moaning about in my two post.

AFAIK, then Lew has never promoted his web site (and given the
little content, then it would not make much sense to do so either).

Arne

Andrew Thompson

Ah Lew, Lew, Lew

No. It is just 'Lew'.
I reckon you are a permanent resident google groups.
And thanks for your abusive language on my other post on java gui
grouphttp://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.lang.java.gui/browse_thread/thr...

What? My browser shows that post as having not a
single reply. About what it deserved.
My blog have more than 100 happy subscribers ..

Well dude, with 'over 100 subscribers' why are
you worrying about what /anybody/ else thinks?

Look out YouTube!

(BTW - idiots are often happy.)
...good information provider. So I will NEVER ever going to change the
layout and my blogging style.

Like I said - don't change a thing. Ever.

But I wish all the happiness you should have from your little website
which you been moaning about in my two post.

What web site? Lew has a *web site*? I would be
very interested to know the URL.

No, I'm not interested in the URL of your blog,
Lew's assessment put the last nails in the coffin
for a site (I was not inclined to visit, based on
anything you had said) by someone that seriously
suggests 'video tutorials'.

Roedy Green

Written by far. The reason is searching. I can use google or other
tools to find what I want. Video tutorials have no indexing. Usually
I don't want the whole tutorial, or I am trying to find a tutorial on
some specific point.

the other reason is spelling. When you see something spelled out you
can copy paste it. When you just hear it, you can easily get it
wrong.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Let us pray it is not so, or if it is, that it will not become widely known."
~ Wife of the Bishop of Exeter on hearing of Darwin's theory of the common descent of humans and apes.

Lew

No.  It is just 'Lew'.

What?  My browser shows that post as having not a
single reply.  About what it deserved.

Well dude, with 'over 100 subscribers' why are
you worrying about what /anybody/ else thinks?

Look out YouTube!

(BTW - idiots are often happy.)

Like I said - don't change a thing. Ever.

What web site?  Lew has a *web site*?  I would be
very interested to know the URL.

No, I'm not interested in the URL of your blog,
Lew's assessment put the last nails in the coffin
for a site (I was not inclined to visit, based on
anything you had said) by someone that seriously
suggests 'video tutorials'.

So much for him appreciating the comments. He could have used them to
improve his site, but apparently his statement that he would
appreciate comments was not fully accurate.

If "Linuxmank" wants to spam a newsgroup of professional programmers
for his blogscam site purporting to serve professional programmers,
then it should have a professional presentation, which "Linuxmank"
does not provide. If "Linuxmank" wants to advance as a professional,
he will become better at receiving constructive criticism instead of
reacting with knee-jerk defensiveness, unfounded and unsubstantiable
claims of mythical "abusive language" and ludicrous ad hominem
attacks.
That he chose those unprofessional responses indicates the measure of
commitment he has, and to what.

Linuxmank

So much for him appreciating the comments.  He could have used them to
improve his site, but apparently his statement that he would
appreciate comments was not fully accurate.

If "Linuxmank" wants to spam a newsgroup of professional programmers
for his blogscam site purporting to serve professional programmers,

My blog is not blogscam site. All is want from my question was an
opinion of fellow programmer, that all. I have why it turned into an
ugly argument.
then it should have a professional presentation, which "Linuxmank"
does not provide.

What ? I only asked an opinion, please don't make issue out of it

 If "Linuxmank" wants to advance as a professional,
he will become better at receiving constructive criticism instead of
reacting with knee-jerk defensiveness, unfounded and unsubstantiable
claims of mythical "abusive language" and ludicrous ad hominem
attacks.

Calling me a "SOB" is not constructive Criticism
That he chose those unprofessional responses indicates the measure of
commitment he has, and to what.

I suggest you should look at your previous responses. As far I know
the way you responded is not professional

Anyway,

To all member,

My apologies if I hurt anyone's sentiments. I didn't realize that
asking an simple opinion will turn into an ugly argument.

And let me repeat is again My blog is NOT a blogscam and its NOT a
tutorial website.