Do python.org MacOS X dmg installers still only provide 32 bit Pythonframework?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Graham Dumpleton, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. I'd rather not have to download and install them as I don't want to be
    installing them into my actual system, so can someone please tell me
    whether the MacOS X dmg installers provided from www.python.org are
    still not full universal builds. That is, that the Python framework
    component only contains 32 bit architecture images and not also 64 bit
    architecture images.

    Am interested in Python 2.5.4, 2.6.1 and 3.0.1.

    The output below is actually from Python provided with MacOS X 10.5
    (Leopard), but is representative of what I would want to see, just for
    the python.org one under /Library instead.

    $ file /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/
    Python
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python:
    Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
    (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library
    ppc
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
    (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared
    library ppc64
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
    (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library
    i386
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
    (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared
    library x86_64

    So, do the official Python builds have 64 bit support in the framework
    library?

    And yes I do know that the 'python' executable itself on MacOS X 10.5
    (Leopard) standard Python is only 32 bit, but whether the framework
    has 64 bit is an issue because when you use mod_python or mod_wsgi
    with standard MacOS X Apache, Python is run as 64 bit and so the 64
    bit code needs to be in the framework library. Am getting tired of
    having to explain to people that it is the python.org installers that
    are deficient and to compile from source code or use Apple version
    instead.

    If this still is an issue, then I'll log a bug report so that full
    support is included in the future.

    Thanks.

    Graham

    Graham Dumpleton, Mar 9, 2009

  2. Re: Do python.org MacOS X dmg installers still only provide 32 bitPython framework?

    Graham Dumpleton wrote:
    > I'd rather not have to download and install them as I don't want to be
    > installing them into my actual system, so can someone please tell me
    > whether the MacOS X dmg installers provided from www.python.org are
    > still not full universal builds. That is, that the Python framework
    > component only contains 32 bit architecture images and not also 64 bit
    > architecture images.

    Yes, that is still the case.

    > If this still is an issue, then I'll log a bug report so that full
    > support is included in the future.

    Please, no. Trust that the people creating them are aware that it is
    desirable to provide 64-bit binaries. Also trust that there are severe
    technical problems that prevented that from happening so far.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Mar 9, 2009

  3. Re: Do python.org MacOS X dmg installers still only provide 32 bitPython framework?

    On Mar 9, 6:14 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <> wrote:
    > Graham Dumpleton wrote:
    > > I'd rather not have to download and install them as I don't want to be
    > > installing them into my actual system, so can someone please tell me
    > > whether the MacOS X dmg installers provided fromwww.python.orgare
    > > still not full universal builds. That is, that the Python framework
    > > component only contains 32 bit architecture images and not also 64 bit
    > > architecture images.

    > Yes, that is still the case.
    >
    > > If this still is an issue, then I'll log a bug report so that full
    > > support is included in the future.

    > Please, no. Trust that the people creating them are aware that it is
    > desirable to provide 64-bit binaries. Also trust that there are severe
    > technical problems that prevented that from happening so far.

    Does this technical problem go beyond the lack of 64 bit safe tcl/tk,
    which is what I understood used to be part of the problem?

    Graham

    Graham Dumpleton, Mar 9, 2009
  4. Re: Do python.org MacOS X dmg installers still only provide 32 bitPython framework?

    > Does this technical problem go beyond the lack of 64 bit safe tcl/tk,
    > which is what I understood used to be part of the problem?

    Yes, it does. See the python-dev archives for details.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Mar 10, 2009