    <script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    swfobject.js") %>"></script>

    Stapes
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007

  2. Stapes

    matatunos Guest

    Stapes vient de nous annoncer :
    > Hi
    >
    > I am new to javascript. I have a website running in .net, that has a
    > load of these in the <head section of the default.aspx page, which
    > bumps the page size up to 371kb. However, many of these are only used
    > in one 'skin', or page in the system. Is there any way I can put these
    > scripts elsewhere, so they are only loaded when they are needed. Then
    > every webpage will not have to be so enormous?
    >
    > This is the sort of thing I am talking about:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    > swfobject.js") %>"></script>
    >
    > Stapes

    using this method, you just download the .js file once, and every time
    your code uses it, the browser looks for it in the client cache no?

    take a look at this

    http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

    its a html debugger

    you can get information about all the traffic and times of your pages,
    forms and a lot of things
    matatunos, Oct 11, 2007

  3. On 11 Oct, 10:40, matatunos <> wrote:
    > Stapes vient de nous annoncer :
    >
    > > Hi

    > > I am new to javascript. I have a website running in .net, that has a
    > > load of these in the <head section of the default.aspx page, which
    > > bumps the page size up to 371kb. However, many of these are only used
    > > in one 'skin', or page in the system. Is there any way I can put these
    > > scripts elsewhere, so they are only loaded when they are needed. Then
    > > every webpage will not have to be so enormous?

    > > This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

    > > <script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    > > swfobject.js") %>"></script>

    > > Stapes

    > using this method, you just download the .js file once, and every time
    > your code uses it, the browser looks for it in the client cache no?
    >
    > take a look at this
    >
    > http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/
    >
    > its a html debugger
    >
    > you can get information about all the traffic and times of your pages,
    > forms and a lot of things

    Surely an http debugger?
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  4. Stapes

    Stapes Guest

    On 11 Oct, 10:40, matatunos <> wrote:
    > Stapes vient de nous annoncer :
    >
    > > Hi

    > > I am new to javascript. I have a website running in .net, that has a
    > > load of these in the <head section of the default.aspx page, which
    > > bumps the page size up to 371kb. However, many of these are only used
    > > in one 'skin', or page in the system. Is there any way I can put these
    > > scripts elsewhere, so they are only loaded when they are needed. Then
    > > every webpage will not have to be so enormous?

    > > This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

    > > <script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    > > swfobject.js") %>"></script>

    > > Stapes

    > using this method, you just download the .js file once, and every time
    > your code uses it, the browser looks for it in the client cache no?
    >
    > take a look at this
    >
    > http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/
    >
    > its a html debugger
    >
    > you can get information about all the traffic and times of your pages,
    > forms and a lot of things

    Sorry - I don't see the relevance of your answer
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007
  5. Stapes

    matatunos Guest

    >> using this method, you just download the .js file once, and every time
    >> your code uses it, the browser looks for it in the client cache no?
    >>
    >> take a look at this
    >>
    >> http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/
    >>
    >> its a html debugger
    >>
    >> you can get information about all the traffic and times of your pages,
    >> forms and a lot of things

    > Sorry - I don't see the relevance of your answer

    sorry, i have not read correctly the original post, my native language
    is spanish not english.

    answering to Captain Paralytic

    i'm a beguinner in web development, i use firebug with mozilla to get
    information about web pages, scripts, gets, posts, xml returned by ajax
    etc, with IE6 and IE7, i didn´t find any thing like firebug, and
    fiddlertool is a very good tool for me to see why some things are wrong
    in my code, performance, headers, broken links, traffic, etc.. its not
    a debugger, but helps debugging (the autor say "Web Debugging Proxy")
    matatunos, Oct 11, 2007
  6. Stapes

    riog Guest

    Hi,

    see http://www.phpied.com/javascript-include/

    1. On your HTML page:

    <script type="text/javascript" src="includes.js"></script>

    2. create includes.js containing:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function include_dom(script_filename) {
    var html_doc = document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0);
    var js = document.createElement('script');
    js.setAttribute('language', 'javascript');
    js.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
    js.setAttribute('src', script_filename);
    html_doc.appendChild(js);
    return false;
    }

    include_dom("js/includes.js");
    // add more javascript files here
    </script>
    riog, Oct 11, 2007
  7. Stapes

    RobG Guest

    On Oct 11, 9:13 pm, riog <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > seehttp://www.phpied.com/javascript-include/
    >
    > 1. On your HTML page:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript" src="includes.js"></script>
    >
    > 2. create includes.js containing:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function include_dom(script_filename) {
    > var html_doc = document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0);
    > var js = document.createElement('script');
    > js.setAttribute('language', 'javascript');
    > js.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
    > js.setAttribute('src', script_filename);
    > html_doc.appendChild(js);
    > return false;
    > }
    >
    > include_dom("js/includes.js");
    > // add more javascript files here
    > </script>

    Why would you bother to use a problematic script to load script files
    that could be loaded more reliably using script elements in the source
    HTML?

    How does the above address the OP's issue of very large pages?

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Oct 11, 2007
  8. On 11 Oct, 12:33, RobG <> wrote:
    > How does the above address the OP's issue of very large pages?

    Well, the following 2 extracts from the referenced page explain this:

    The problem
    I was wondering how feasible it is to call Javascripts only when you
    need them. Basically not to have a load of <script src="js.js">s at
    the top of the page, but only those that are actually needed, when
    they are needed.

    Javascript include on user demand
    Now a bit more of a real life example - the javascript is included
    when the user performs an action (click).
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  9. Stapes

    Stapes Guest

    On 11 Oct, 12:13, riog <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > seehttp://www.phpied.com/javascript-include/
    >
    > 1. On your HTML page:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript" src="includes.js"></script>
    >
    > 2. create includes.js containing:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > function include_dom(script_filename) {
    > var html_doc = document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0);
    > var js = document.createElement('script');
    > js.setAttribute('language', 'javascript');
    > js.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
    > js.setAttribute('src', script_filename);
    > html_doc.appendChild(js);
    > return false;
    > }
    >
    > include_dom("js/includes.js");
    > // add more javascript files here
    > </script>

    That looks good. How do I add the javascript files where it says //
    add more javascript files here ?

    i.e. js/dnncore.js

    Stapes
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007
  10. On 11 Oct, 13:10, Stapes <> wrote:
    > On 11 Oct, 12:13, riog <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > seehttp://www.phpied.com/javascript-include/

    > > 1. On your HTML page:

    > > <script type="text/javascript" src="includes.js"></script>

    > > 2. create includes.js containing:

    > > <script type="text/javascript">
    > > function include_dom(script_filename) {
    > > var html_doc = document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0);
    > > var js = document.createElement('script');
    > > js.setAttribute('language', 'javascript');
    > > js.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
    > > js.setAttribute('src', script_filename);
    > > html_doc.appendChild(js);
    > > return false;
    > > }

    > > include_dom("js/includes.js");
    > > // add more javascript files here
    > > </script>

    > That looks good. How do I add the javascript files where it says //
    > add more javascript files here ?
    >
    > i.e. js/dnncore.js
    >
    > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

    I would use the keyboard to type:
    include_dom("js/dnncore.js");

    But if you just do that, you will load all the files as you are doing
    using teh script tags and so you have no improvement.

    You need to look at the style for http://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.html
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  11. Stapes

    Stapes Guest

    On 11 Oct, 13:30, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On 11 Oct, 13:10, Stapes <> wrote:
    >

    > > On 11 Oct, 12:13, riog <> wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > seehttp://www.phpied.com/javascript-include/

    > > > 1. On your HTML page:

    > > > <script type="text/javascript" src="includes.js"></script>

    > > > 2. create includes.js containing:

    > > > <script type="text/javascript">
    > > > function include_dom(script_filename) {
    > > > var html_doc = document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0);
    > > > var js = document.createElement('script');
    > > > js.setAttribute('language', 'javascript');
    > > > js.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
    > > > js.setAttribute('src', script_filename);
    > > > html_doc.appendChild(js);
    > > > return false;
    > > > }

    > > > include_dom("js/includes.js");
    > > > // add more javascript files here
    > > > </script>

    > > That looks good. How do I add the javascript files where it says //
    > > add more javascript files here ?

    > > i.e. js/dnncore.js

    > > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

    > I would use the keyboard to type:
    > include_dom("js/dnncore.js");
    >
    > But if you just do that, you will load all the files as you are doing
    > using teh script tags and so you have no improvement.
    >
    > You need to look at the style forhttp://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.html

    Use the keyboard eh? Never thought of that.

    Seriously though, http://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.html uses:

    <li style="cursor: pointer" onclick="include_dom('1.js')">Click for
    1.js using DOM</li>

    Suppose I want it to load automatically (i.e.without anybody clicking
    anything). How would I do that?

    Stapes
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007
  12. On 11 Oct, 13:42, Stapes <> wrote:
    > On 11 Oct, 13:30, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:

    > > > That looks good. How do I add the javascript files where it says //
    > > > add more javascript files here ?

    > > > i.e. js/dnncore.js

    > > > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

    > > I would use the keyboard to type:
    > > include_dom("js/dnncore.js");

    > > But if you just do that, you will load all the files as you are doing
    > > using teh script tags and so you have no improvement.

    > > You need to look at the style forhttp://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.html

    > Use the keyboard eh? Never thought of that.
    >
    > Seriously though,http://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.htmluses:
    >
    > <li style="cursor: pointer" onclick="include_dom('1.js')">Click for
    > 1.js using DOM</li>
    >
    > Suppose I want it to load automatically (i.e.without anybody clicking
    > anything). How would I do that?
    >
    > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

    Well, as I read your original post, your concern was that you only
    wanted a script library to load when it was required on the particular
    page.

    If that is correct, then you have to come up with some way of defining
    what scripts you need on any particular page and then some way of

    I was not suggesting that you used the text of test5 per se, only that
    youuse the concept of loading only what you need, based on some
    criteria.

    How you do that has to be based on what is available in these "skins".

    In short, people here can give you many ideas of how to handle this,
    but we cannot write it all for you without knowing much more about
    what is behind it all (and we might want payment too :)
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  13. Stapes

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Stapes <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I am new to javascript. I have a website running in .net, that has a
    >load of these in the <head section of the default.aspx page, which
    >bumps the page size up to 371kb. However, many of these are only used
    >in one 'skin', or page in the system. Is there any way I can put these
    >scripts elsewhere, so they are only loaded when they are needed. Then
    >every webpage will not have to be so enormous?
    >
    >This is the sort of thing I am talking about:
    >
    ><script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    >swfobject.js") %>"></script>

    You're talking about using server-side processing to create a filename
    for the src attribute of the script tag? That looks OK to me. By the
    time the client gets the page, src has a normal-looking filename in
    it, and the client browser will just go and get that file.

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, Oct 11, 2007
  14. On 11 Oct, 14:14, Tim Slattery <> wrote:
    > Stapes <> wrote:
    > >Hi

    > >I am new to javascript. I have a website running in .net, that has a
    > >load of these in the <head section of the default.aspx page, which
    > >bumps the page size up to 371kb. However, many of these are only used
    > >in one 'skin', or page in the system. Is there any way I can put these
    > >scripts elsewhere, so they are only loaded when they are needed. Then
    > >every webpage will not have to be so enormous?

    > >This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

    > ><script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    > >swfobject.js") %>"></script>

    > You're talking about using server-side processing to create a filename
    > for the src attribute of the script tag? That looks OK to me. By the
    > time the client gets the page, src has a normal-looking filename in
    > it, and the client browser will just go and get that file.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > ://members.cox.net/slatteryt

    How is that relevant to this discussion?
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  15. Stapes

    Stapes Guest

    On 11 Oct, 13:49, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On 11 Oct, 13:42, Stapes <> wrote:

    > > > I would use the keyboard to type:
    > > > include_dom("js/dnncore.js");

    > > > But if you just do that, you will load all the files as you are doing
    > > > using teh script tags and so you have no improvement.

    > > > You need to look at the style forhttp://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.html

    > > Use the keyboard eh? Never thought of that.

    > > Seriously though,http://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.htmluses:

    > > <li style="cursor: pointer" onclick="include_dom('1.js')">Click for
    > > 1.js using DOM</li>

    > > Suppose I want it to load automatically (i.e.without anybody clicking
    > > anything). How would I do that?

    > > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

    > Well, as I read your original post, your concern was that you only
    > wanted a script library to load when it was required on the particular
    > page.
    >
    > If that is correct, then you have to come up with some way of defining
    > what scripts you need on any particular page and then some way of
    >
    > I was not suggesting that you used the text of test5 per se, only that
    > youuse the concept of loading only what you need, based on some
    > criteria.
    >
    > How you do that has to be based on what is available in these "skins".
    >
    > In short, people here can give you many ideas of how to handle this,
    > but we cannot write it all for you without knowing much more about
    > what is behind it all (and we might want payment too :)

    I am not asking you to write it all for me! Jeezuss. This is just a
    little tiny part of the whole. I am trying to work out why the method
    given did not work.
    I did say I have no experience of javascript. Gimme a break.

    Can I put include_dom("js/dnncore.js") in other places - apart from in
    an onclick= command?

    Does it work out the rest of the url, or must I put "http://www.hotel-
    victoria.co.uk/js/dnncore.js" or something?
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007
  16. Stapes

    Stapes Guest

    On 11 Oct, 15:08, Stapes <> wrote:
    > On 11 Oct, 13:49, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:

    > > > Use the keyboard eh? Never thought of that.

    > > > Seriously though,http://www.phpied.com/files/jinc/test5.htmluses:

    > > > <li style="cursor: pointer" onclick="include_dom('1.js')">Click for
    > > > 1.js using DOM</li>

    > > > Suppose I want it to load automatically (i.e.without anybody clicking
    > > > anything). How would I do that?

    > > > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

    > > Well, as I read your original post, your concern was that you only
    > > wanted a script library to load when it was required on the particular
    > > page.

    > > If that is correct, then you have to come up with some way of defining
    > > what scripts you need on any particular page and then some way of

    > > I was not suggesting that you used the text of test5 per se, only that
    > > youuse the concept of loading only what you need, based on some
    > > criteria.

    > > How you do that has to be based on what is available in these "skins".

    > > In short, people here can give you many ideas of how to handle this,
    > > but we cannot write it all for you without knowing much more about
    > > what is behind it all (and we might want payment too :)

    > I am not asking you to write it all for me! Jeezuss. This is just a
    > little tiny part of the whole. I am trying to work out why the method
    > given did not work.
    > I did say I have no experience of javascript. Gimme a break.
    >
    > Can I put include_dom("js/dnncore.js") in other places - apart from in
    > an onclick= command?
    >
    > Does it work out the rest of the url, or must I put "http://www.hotel-
    > victoria.co.uk/js/dnncore.js" or something?

    Ok here goes. On http://www.hotel-victoria.co.uk/virtualtour/tabid/72/Default.aspx,
    I want to use virtualtour.js only on this page.

    I have tried this:

    <li style="cursor: pointer;" onclick="include_dom('http://www.hotel-
    victoria.co.uk/js/virtualtour.js')"><a class="pdflink"
    href="javascript:OpenTour('beach','beach_medres.ipx')">Beach</a><br /
    ></li>

    And in the default.aspx:

    <script type="text/javascript" src="<%= Page.ResolveUrl("js/
    includes.js") %>"></script>

    Doesn't work. So what am I doing wrong? I know it isn't the bit in
    default.aspx, because all the other javascript functions loaded there
    work fine.

    Stapes
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007
  17. Stapes wrote:
    > I am new to javascript. I have a website running in .net, that has a
    > load of these in the <head section of the default.aspx page, which
    > bumps the page size up to 371kb. However, many of these are only used
    > in one 'skin', or page in the system. Is there any way I can put these
    > scripts elsewhere, so they are only loaded when they are needed.

    Put them into the `body' element, where they are used, before they are used,
    in the correct order. That is the only other place where `script' elements
    are allowed.

    HTH

    PointedEars
    --
    var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
    ) // Plone, register_function.js:16
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Oct 11, 2007
  18. On 11 Oct, 16:11, Stapes <> wrote:
    > Doesn't work.

    "Doesn't work." How helpful. Care to share how it doesn't work? What
    actually happens? What are you expecting to happen?

    If your function OpenTour() is in the library js/virtualtour.js, then
    why not do away with the href="javascript... and just do something
    like:

    <li><a class="pdflink" href="#" onclick="include_dom('http://www.hotel-
    victoria.co.uk/js/
    virtualtour.js');OpenTour('beach','beach_medres.ipx');return
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  19. On 11 Oct, 12:00, matatunos <> wrote:
    > >> using this method, you just download the .js file once, and every time
    > >> your code uses it, the browser looks for it in the client cache no?

    > >> take a look at this

    > >>http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

    > >> its a html debugger

    > >> you can get information about all the traffic and times of your pages,
    > >> forms and a lot of things

    > > Sorry - I don't see the relevance of your answer

    > sorry, i have not read correctly the original post, my native language
    > is spanish not english.
    >
    > answering to Captain Paralytic
    >
    > i'm a beguinner in web development, i use firebug with mozilla to get
    > information about web pages, scripts, gets, posts, xml returned by ajax
    > etc, with IE6 and IE7, i didn´t find any thing like firebug, and
    > fiddlertool is a very good tool for me to see why some things are wrong
    > in my code, performance, headers, broken links, traffic, etc.. its not
    > a debugger, but helps debugging (the autor say "Web Debugging Proxy")

    And headers, traffic, &c. are not HTML
    Captain Paralytic, Oct 11, 2007
  20. Stapes

    Stapes Guest

    On 11 Oct, 16:27, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On 11 Oct, 16:11, Stapes <> wrote:
    >
    > > Doesn't work.

    > "Doesn't work." How helpful. Care to share how it doesn't work? What
    > actually happens? What are you expecting to happen?
    >
    > If your function OpenTour() is in the library js/virtualtour.js, then
    > why not do away with the href="javascript... and just do something
    > like:
    >
    > <li><a class="pdflink" href="#" onclick="include_dom('http://www.hotel-
    > victoria.co.uk/js/
    > virtualtour.js');OpenTour('beach','beach_medres.ipx');return

    If you go to http://www.hotel-victoria.co.uk/virtualtour/tabid/72/Default.aspx
    and click on any of the links in the right panel, you will see what it
    does when it works.
    Stapes, Oct 11, 2007