Do shtml hurt search engine crawlings?

Q&A

I did this 2 years ago, changing from all shtml to htm and all search
engines seem to love it. For tow reasons, one is most engines don't like the
idea that no "last modified date" in the header, so hotbot will always
rewrite the page is last updated in 1969. Secondly some engines still
consider it dynamic. Google seems to be ok with SHTML, but MSN, Yahoo,
Hotbot (same as yahoo) don't like them

Is that still true today? Anyone here has a good indexed shtml sites?
(meaning got crawled everyday)

The reason I ask is for a small site, HTM is ok, but when the site grows, at
least shtml will help saying some editings of header and footer.

Gordon Hudson

Q&A said:
I did this 2 years ago, changing from all shtml to htm and all search
engines seem to love it. For tow reasons, one is most engines don't like the
idea that no "last modified date" in the header, so hotbot will always
rewrite the page is last updated in 1969. Secondly some engines still
consider it dynamic. Google seems to be ok with SHTML, but MSN, Yahoo,
Hotbot (same as yahoo) don't like them

Is that still true today? Anyone here has a good indexed shtml sites?
(meaning got crawled everyday)

The reason I ask is for a small site, HTM is ok, but when the site grows, at
least shtml will help saying some editings of header and footer.

Our sites use shtml but the file extension is .html
This is easy to achieve.

Spacen Jasset

Q&A said:
I did this 2 years ago, changing from all shtml to htm and all search
engines seem to love it. For tow reasons, one is most engines don't like the
idea that no "last modified date" in the header, so hotbot will always
rewrite the page is last updated in 1969. Secondly some engines still
consider it dynamic. Google seems to be ok with SHTML, but MSN, Yahoo,
Hotbot (same as yahoo) don't like them

Is that still true today? Anyone here has a good indexed shtml sites?
(meaning got crawled everyday)

The reason I ask is for a small site, HTM is ok, but when the site grows, at
least shtml will help saying some editings of header and footer.

Or you can use poor man's ssi. Create menu's and footer with javascript. or
alternatively use a hidden iframe to load content into then dynamicaly
render it into a div tag which becomes the main content.

Dylan Parry

Spake Spacen Jasset unto thee:
Or you can use poor man's ssi. Create menu's and footer with javascript.

That isn't the "Poor Man's SSI" that's the "Stupid Man's SSI". Using that
method would certainly hurt his rankings in search engines as they
wouldn't be able to find any other pages on his site due to the navigation
being included with JavaScript, which the SE doesn't understand.

JavaScript is for bells and whistles, not for creating content or mission
critical stuff like including navigation from another file.

Q&A

That isn't the "Poor Man's SSI" that's the "Stupid Man's SSI". Using that
method would certainly hurt his rankings in search engines as they
wouldn't be able to find any other pages on his site due to the navigation
being included with JavaScript, which the SE doesn't understand.

JavaScript is for bells and whistles, not for creating content or mission
critical stuff like including navigation from another file.

Agree!