Do Usenet news have to be the way they are?

lbrtchx

~
a while ago I read an interview with Bjarne Stroustrup's in which he
said he was working on a protocol to improve Usenet news. I wonder
what happened to that project
~
the idea behind the implementation of a model and GUI facilitating
the interchange of opinions among a number of participants about a
certain topic that ends up naturally building a common-pool resource
is worthy, I think
~
common-pool resources tend to be abused, but collaborative filtering
and ranking could help easing collaboration, keeping abuses to a
minimum, as well as keeping parties productively and creatively
engaged
~
Do you know of any technically sound work (theoretical or
implementations) on improving Usenet newsgroups or any such bulleting
board-like communicative interactions?
~
thanks
lbrtchx