Do you give clients source code?

VB Programmer

Typically, when you are done with a client's website, do you give them all
of the source code, if they ask for it? Do you, as the developer, legally
own it, or do they, because they paid you to create the ASP.NET website? (I
live in Florida)

Thanks...

Ben

This depends on the client and the contract. This is something that needs
to be negotiated upfront. I typically release my source code for asp.net
applications, winforms however, I do not.

Ben

WJ

This is an "application" type, not a "tool" type. Therefore, your client has
every right to demand for the source code that you created. That is
automatic! I always test every logic before I sign a software acceptance
paper. Most likely, I would call you back for maintenance piece, and you can
only use the source that I that is in my hand, not yours!

John

Sergio Fernandez

I've always given clients the source code.
They paid for it, they should have access to it.

Sergio Fernandez

Shaun Wilde

It really does depend on the scenario

If they come to me and ask "please make me this". Then as it is a one-off,
then I let them have the code at the end (but they don't normally have the
facility to compile it anyway). The contract will specify if they want, have
a right to, the code at the end - intellectual property rights, materials
etc etc

If however I have a product, then I sometimes make the code available but
only if my company goes bust (unable to trade) ie a a copy is kept in trust
at ay the solicitors (lawyers)
or other trusted 3rd party. And can only be used to fix bugs found and not
to develop a new product stream themsleves. ie they sign a cpontract on how
they would use the code
once they have access to it.

Shaun

Kevin Spencer

When I was an independent consultant, doing ASP, I really had no choice.
However, it was my philosophy that since I was hired to write it, ostensibly
my programming skills were better than my clients. I did make sure that I
had a contract which specified that I was the owner of the copyright.
However, I would also specify that the client was licensed to make any
changes they deemed fit, and to use the code for any purposes they deemed
fit, with the condition that support for my code ended when they touched it.
Some would continue to use me, and paid for additional work. Some took over,
and I ended up doing paid work for them to fix up THEIR code. In any case,
everyone was happy.

Now that I am not an independent consultant, of course, I don't have to
worry about this. However, the fact that ASP.Net can be compiled into a DLL
would probably lead me to NOT share my source code with the client.

--

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Sergio Fernandez

its has nothing to do with your progarmmign skills, they would not have
hired you if they did not believe you were they best programmer for the job.
its what a client has come to expect.

before web based application were popular and we built it all using C++,
delphi and other compiled languages, I worked for a company that built
application for law firms... now when just deliver the executable to the
client, not the sourec code, but the company I worked for kept the sourec
code.

when I srated to work dirreclty for a client, which happened after they
found out that I was the developer, they woudl expect the source code, it
seems like even if they never modify the source code,which many never
have,and if they wanted new features they would always call me to add to the
code.... however, thsy still expected the source code.

so, I followed the ruel that the perosn who paid me get to keep the code,
its just want they are paying for. that never stoped themfor calling me if
they wanted to add to teh code, because honestly most peopel could not even
go throught thousand of lines of code and understand it all. so, I would
never loose work.

givin them the code.. that is just something they have come to expect. ist
had nothing to do with your ability, its just what they want.

Sergio