Do you have an explanation for this?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by George Ter-Saakov, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. I guess an ADO update had to be done.
    Installation of MS SQL just did it

    George.

    "Pravin A. Sable" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > 1) After user ASP.net was given write privileges.
    > 2) After giving write permission in IIS and Windows Explorer.
    >
    > It was fixed,
    > After installing SQL Server 2000 Developer edition on my machine.
    >
    > Can anybody tell, what is that SQL Server 2000 does which makes
    > connectivity to Access 2000 database possible for insert/update
    > operation possible in ASP.net code which wasn't possible earlier?
    >
    > I think it is something to do with the way data is access. Please help.
    > Does this mean that if we want to connect to Access 2000 database,in
    > ASP.net we need to Install SQL Server :) If that's the case then it's
    > big move by Microsoft to sell SQL Server.
    >
    > Those were nice days in VB6 when when we used to connect to access and
    > open as many connections as we want and it never used to complaint.
    >
    > -Pravin
    >

    > I am trying to execute following code
    >
    > Sub SubmitBtn_Click(ByVal Sender As Object, ByVal E As EventArgs)
    > Dim DBConn As OleDbConnection
    > Dim DBInsert As New OleDbCommand
    > DBConn = New OleDbConnection("PROVIDER=" _
    > & "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" _
    > & "DATA SOURCE=" _
    > & Server.MapPath("Emps.mdb;"))
    > DBInsert.CommandText = "Insert Into Employees " _
    > & "(LastName, FirstName, PhoneNumber, EmailAddress, " _
    > & "Notes, DepartmentID) values (" _
    > & "'" & Replace(txtLastName.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
    > & "'" & Replace(txtFirstName.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
    > & "'" & Replace(txtPhoneNumber.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
    > & "'" & Replace(txtEmailAddress.Text, "'", "''") _
    > & "', " _
    > & "'" & Replace(txtNotes.Text, "'", "''") & "', " _
    > & ddlDepartments.SelectedItem.Value & ")"
    > DBInsert.Connection = DBConn
    > DBInsert.Connection.Open()
    > DBInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()
    > Response.Redirect("./index.aspx")
    > End Sub
    >
    > while executing following
    > DBInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()
    >
    > query is
    > Insert Into Employees (LastName, FirstName, PhoneNumber, EmailAddress,
    > Notes, DepartmentID) values ('asdfas', 'asdf', 'asdfasfdasdf', 'asf',
    > 'asdfasdf', 3)
    >

    > I get an error saying as follows, Whats happening... it's new to me..
    > more to that its an example striaght copy paste from one book.
    >

    > Operation must use an updateable query.
    >
    > Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use
    > an updateable query.
    >
    > Source Error:
    >

    > Line 58: DBInsert.Connection = DBConn
    > Line 59: DBInsert.Connection.Open()
    > Line 60: DBInsert.ExecuteNonQuery()
    > Line 61: Response.Redirect("./index.aspx")
    > Line 62: End Sub
    >

    > Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\add1.aspx.vb Line: 60
    >
    > Stack Trace:
    >

    > [OleDbException (0x80004005): Operation must use an updateable query.]
    > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32

    hr)

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
    > dbParams, Object& executeResult)
    > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object&

    executeResult)
    > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior
    > behavior, Object& executeResult)
    > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
    > behavior, String method)
    > System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    > WebApplication1.add1.SubmitBtn_Click(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in
    > c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\add1.aspx.vb:60
    > System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    stBackEvent(String

    Pravin A. Sable, Apr 30, 2004