    one else?

    Thank you a lot!
    Roger
    Dr. Roger Wießner, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Dr. Roger Wießner wrote:

    > I am a newbie to XSLT and need a freeware/GNU Tool
    > to get experience with this new topic.
    >
    > Which one is a good XSLT? Xalan or Saxon, or which
    > one else?

    I think both Saxon and Xalan are regarded as good implementations of the
    XSLT 1.0 standard.
    Which one you choose might depend on other criteria, Saxon is a Java
    application while Xalan exists as both a Java application and as a C++
    application.
    And Java 1.4 comes already with a Xalan version built-in.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Mar 16, 2005

  3. "Martin Honnen" <> wrote in message

    > Dr. Roger Wießner wrote:
    >
    >> Which one is a good XSLT? Xalan or Saxon, or which one else?

    > I think both Saxon and Xalan are regarded as good implementations of the
    > XSLT 1.0 standard.

    I'd recommend Saxon, it's faster and more conformant. The current version
    of Saxon 8.x supports XSLT 2.0, and is the only free implementation to do
    so.

    > Which one you choose might depend on other criteria, Saxon is a Java
    > application while Xalan exists as both a Java application and as a C++
    > application.
    > And Java 1.4 comes already with a Xalan version built-in.

    An old buggy version, though. If you do use Xalan with Java 1.4, you should
    update your runtime environment to pick up more recent versions of Xalan
    (and Xerces as well):
    a.. Create the directory %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed.
    b.. Download new versions of the Xerces jar files, including
    xercesImpl.jar and xml-apis.jar, and copy them to the endorsed directory.
    c.. Download a new version of the Xalan jar files and copy it to the
    endorsed directory as well (or alternatively copy saxon here.).
    (Java 1.5 comes with newer versions of the Xalan and Xerces jar files.)

    Regards,
    Daniel Parker
    http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/
    Daniel Parker, Mar 17, 2005