Do you make pages that have different 'modes' ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Matt Swift, May 24, 2004.

  1. Matt Swift

    Matt Swift Guest

    I would like to know, how many people when designing asp.net apps, break
    down pages into components (user controls) and use them repeatedly in
    different panels etc.

    We tend to make parts of a page visible/invisible using a property or method
    in the codebehind and then make one page seem like it's actually a number of
    differnet (but similar) pages, when different page-functionality would
    usually continue quite smoothly and use a lot of the same user controls.

    Is this a good way of working with asp.net. Lately I'm finding it may not
    be the best approach for using the UIPAB (User Interface Process Application
    Block) as the logic and actually asp.net components need to be seperated as
    much as possible.

    Any thoughts on how you guys might do similar stuff would be appreciated.

    Matt Swift

    Matt Swift, May 24, 2004

  2. We ddi a project where the whole ASP.NET application used ONLY one aspx page
    and it had all User controls on it. You'll ran into a problem arround
    ViewState. You can get arround this by dynamicly loading UserControls, but
    you'll hvae to load them inside Initialize and be careful about
    ProcessPostaBackData...

    It's possible, but I wouldn't reccomend it. You get a page with a very
    complicated state. I reccomend you to use more pages with its own state
    management.

    If you intend to use UIPAB, be prepared. It's sounds great (and it is), but
    it's not as easy to use when it comes to a normal complicated web
    applicatation that is very dynamic especcialy in ways of navigation and
    dynamic action execution.

    --
    RobertK
    { Clever? No just smart. }