Do you monitor your Python packages in inux distributions?

Discussion in 'Python' started by skip@pobox.com, Mar 12, 2011.

  1. Guest

    I'm one of the SpamBayes developers and in a half-assed way try to keep
    track of SB dribbles on the net via a saved Google search. About a month
    ago I got a hit on an Ubuntu bug tracker about a SpamBayes bug. As it turns
    out, Ubuntu distributes an outdated (read: no longer maintained) version of
    SpamBayes. The bug had been fixed over three years ago in the current
    version. Had I known this I could probably have saved them some trouble, at
    least by suggesting that they upgrade.

    I have a question for you people who develop and maintain Python-based
    packages. How closely, if at all, do you monitor the bug trackers of Linux
    distributions (or Linux-like packaging systems like MacPorts) for activity
    related to your packages? How do you encourage such projects to push bug
    reports and/or fixes upstream to you? What tools are out there to discover
    which Linux distributions have SpamBayes packages? (I know about
    rpmfind.net, but there must be other similar sites by now.)

    Thx,

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://www.smontanaro.net/

    , Mar 12, 2011

  2. On 12-3-2011 20:26, wrote:

    > I'm one of the SpamBayes developers and in a half-assed way try to keep
    > track of SB dribbles on the net via a saved Google search. About a month
    > ago I got a hit on an Ubuntu bug tracker about a SpamBayes bug. As it turns
    > out, Ubuntu distributes an outdated (read: no longer maintained) version of
    > SpamBayes. The bug had been fixed over three years ago in the current
    > version. Had I known this I could probably have saved them some trouble, at
    > least by suggesting that they upgrade.
    >
    > I have a question for you people who develop and maintain Python-based
    > packages. How closely, if at all, do you monitor the bug trackers of Linux
    > distributions (or Linux-like packaging systems like MacPorts) for activity
    > related to your packages? How do you encourage such projects to push bug
    > reports and/or fixes upstream to you? What tools are out there to discover
    > which Linux distributions have SpamBayes packages? (I know about
    > rpmfind.net, but there must be other similar sites by now.)

    Hello Skip.
    I'm the author of Pyro and had something similar happening a while ago.
    Ubuntu being the distribution in case, and they decided to upgrade their package to the
    still-not-stable version 4 of Pyro. But version 4 is incompatible with Pyro3.
    Predictably, soon afterwards, complaints and bug reports started to appear.

    I wasn't aware of all this until I was contacted by a Debian (or Ubuntu, but it doesn't
    really matter) user directly to alert me to the problem. I *did* know that Debian and
    Ubuntu have been including Pyro as a package for quite a while, but I'm not following
    their activity much.

    (Via the package 'homepage' I contacted the package maintainer and things have been
    sorted out.)

    I tend to glance on the deb package 'homepage' once in a while (few months) to see if
    something interesting pops up in their tracker and such, but I'm doing that randomly.
    Also I'm not actively encouraging anybody to push tracker issues upstream to me. I'm not
    spending much time on Pyro, and it seems people know how to find me anyway. What distros
    decide to do with it is their business, I'm just hoping the package maintainer is smart
    enough to know what to do with the issues reported on their trackers (if any).

    Besides Debian and Ubuntu I'm not aware of any other distro that includes a Pyro
    package. I found out about Debian/Ubuntu by googling.

    All in all probably not a very helpful example but I thought I'd share my experience.

    Cheers
    Irmen de Jong

    Irmen de Jong, Mar 12, 2011