Do you prefer paper or plastic... er, I mean paper or e-books?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by rickman, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. rickman

    rickman Guest

    I find there are any number of aspects of the VHDL language that I
    just do not remember and I am not going to make up flash cards to help
    me remember. So I drag a half dozen VHDL books around with me when I
    am working on VHDL (or much less frequently, Verilog; one of the books
    covers both).

    I am getting tired of heaving the books up into the truck every time I
    go to the lake and am starting to wonder if I should invest in some
    good e-books on HDL.

    What do the rest of you prefer? Do you have both? Do you still need
    to rely on your books or do you pretty well have the language down
    pat?

    Is the IEEE VHDL standard available in e-book format? Maybe I need to
    invest in the 200x version anyway?

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 17, 2009

  2. rickman

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:24:19 -0700 (PDT), rickman <>
    wrote:

    >I find there are any number of aspects of the VHDL language that I
    >just do not remember and I am not going to make up flash cards to help
    >me remember. So I drag a half dozen VHDL books around with me when I
    >am working on VHDL (or much less frequently, Verilog; one of the books
    >covers both).
    >
    >I am getting tired of heaving the books up into the truck every time I
    >go to the lake and am starting to wonder if I should invest in some
    >good e-books on HDL.
    >
    >What do the rest of you prefer? Do you have both? Do you still need
    >to rely on your books or do you pretty well have the language down
    >pat?

    PDF, by far, when I can find a good one, and for all tech topics &
    datasheets, not just VHDL. The search capability alone is worth the
    relative pain of having to boot the PC. If I'll also be using the PC in
    the project (nearly certain) then the cost falls to zero.

    While it's on your radar, if you do go paperless and don't stay with a
    standard format like PDF (e.g., Kindle) make damn sure that you read the
    terms and conditions. I don't have the citation (it's probably on El
    Reg) but I did read about one gent who pissed off Amazon with too many
    returns and they cancelled his account. As a side effect, that locked
    him out of the Kindle volumes he had already purchased. Ugh.

    <clickety click> Nope, it was over at Ars Technica:
    <http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/04/amazon-kindle-incidents-highlight-drm-limitations-once-again.ars>

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, Jul 17, 2009

  3. On Jul 17, 1:24 am, rickman <> wrote:
    > I find there are any number of aspects of the VHDL language that I
    > just do not remember and I am not going to make up flash cards to help
    > me remember.  So I drag a half dozen VHDL books around with me when I
    > am working on VHDL (or much less frequently, Verilog; one of the books
    > covers both).
    >
    > I am getting tired of heaving the books up into the truck every time I
    > go to the lake and am starting to wonder if I should invest in some
    > good e-books on HDL.
    >
    > What do the rest of you prefer?  Do you have both?  Do you still need
    > to rely on your books or do you pretty well have the language down
    > pat?
    >
    > Is the IEEE VHDL standard available in e-book format?  Maybe I need to
    > invest in the 200x version anyway?
    >
    > Rick

    In my case it really depends.

    I really like all three things...paper books and e-books

    I think reading is much better on paper than on a PC monitor. (Here
    the Kindle sounds interesting, but in Austria it is not available). So
    I really prefer a book if I'm about to read a whole lot (e.g. book to
    learn a new programming language). It also has the advantage that you
    can have the book open, and read there while working on you code (I
    have two monitors, and most of the time when I'm programming VHDL or C+
    + I use both monitors, so having a book is a real advantage)

    But If I just have to refresh my memory about something (syntax, etc.)
    I prefer PDFs because of their searchability. I have the few book I
    use the most in both forms (paper and electronic) and choose depending
    on mood/what I want to do which to use.

    Andreas

    AndreasWallner, Jul 17, 2009
  4. AndreasWallner wrote:

    > But If I just have to refresh my memory about something (syntax, etc.)
    > I prefer PDFs because of their searchability.

    A syntax-aware editor that proposes completions
    sometimes covers these problems.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jul 17, 2009
  5. rickman

    luudee Guest

    In my case I use lots and lots of books that refer to various
    standards, (like ATA, SATA, USB, etc). And for that I prefer
    eBooks. 1) I can search them with ease; 2) I can create my
    own bookmarks; 3) I can carry a bunch of them on a single
    USB drive.

    One important thing I learned the hard way, is to never buy
    "locked" eBooks. Mindshare comes to mind as one of the worst
    experiences (ended up buying a hard copy of a book because I
    could not open the eBook freely when I needed it).

    During development cycles, I tend to copy and paste important
    paragraphs from those eBooks, creating my own reference manuals
    for specific subjects (e.g. everything about control endpoint
    for USB - that information is spread over 1000+ pages of USB
    specification).

    Best Regards,
    rudi

    luudee, Jul 17, 2009
  6. rickman

    Poojan Wagh Guest

    On Jul 17, 1:22 pm, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    > AndreasWallner wrote:
    > > But If I just have to refresh my memory about something (syntax, etc.)
    > > I prefer PDFs because of their searchability.

    > A syntax-aware editor that proposes completions
    > sometimes covers these problems.
    >
    >     -- Mike Treseler

    Hi, Mike. Any suggestions for an editor that proposes completions?
    (I'm using vim right now which does syntax highlighting.)

    Poojan Wagh, Jul 18, 2009
  7. Poojan Wagh wrote:

    > Hi, Mike. Any suggestions for an editor that proposes completions?
    > (I'm using vim right now which does syntax highlighting.)

    I use vhdl-mode.
    The feature is called template insertion (electrification)
    For example, if I type "if " I am prompted for a boolean expression,
    then for a THEN keyword, etc.
    Press Enter any time to end the interaction.

    Other key features are:
    # Port translation (copy/paste)
    # Design hierarchy browser (speedbar)
    # Makefile generation
    # Word/keyword completion

    details here:
    http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/emacs/vhdl-mode.html
    http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/emacs/vhdl-mode.gif

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jul 18, 2009
  8. rickman

    Jan Decaluwe Guest

    Poojan Wagh wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 1:22 pm, Mike Treseler <> wrote:
    >> AndreasWallner wrote:
    >>> But If I just have to refresh my memory about something (syntax, etc.)
    >>> I prefer PDFs because of their searchability.

    >> A syntax-aware editor that proposes completions
    >> sometimes covers these problems.
    >>
    >> -- Mike Treseler

    > Hi, Mike. Any suggestions for an editor that proposes completions?
    > (I'm using vim right now which does syntax highlighting.)

    The modern answer, already popular for general programming, is an
    intelligent development devironment, typically based on Eclipse.

    This is now also available for VHDL. Sigasi HDT is not just syntax-aware,
    but fully aware of your ongoing VHDL design. Try it out here:

    http://www.sigasi.com/

    --
    Jan Decaluwe - Resources bvba - http://www.jandecaluwe.com
    Python as a HDL: http://www.myhdl.org

    Jan Decaluwe, Jul 19, 2009
  9. rickman

    Koorndyk Guest

    On Jul 16, 7:24 pm, rickman <> wrote:
    > What do the rest of you prefer?  Do you have both?  Do you still need
    > to rely on your books or do you pretty well have the language down
    > pat?
    > Rick

    Google. :)

    I have the Ashenden book on my desk, but I rarely look at it. 95% of
    the time I'll look in source code for other projects I've worked on.
    The other 5% of the time I'll find it on Google.

    Koorndyk, Jul 21, 2009
  10. On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, A. Wallner wrote:

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |"[..] |
    |> |
    |> What do the rest of you prefer?  Do you have both?  Do you still need |
    |> to rely on your books or do you pretty well have the language down |
    |> pat?" |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    Memorizing things (whether for VHDL or something else) is pointless.

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |"> Is the IEEE VHDL standard available in e-book format? [..]" |

    Yes.

    |"In my case it really depends. |
    | |
[...]

    Yes, it is good to have both for different contexts. At home I do not
    want to waste money on electricity for a computer and a visual display
    unit if all I am doing with the text is reading it. In the office,
    copying and pasting or searching is more convenient with a computer.

    Colin Paul Gloster, Jul 21, 2009