Do you program in any other language except for ruby?

Chris Rhoden

python, PHP, C.
Also do a fair amount of bash scripting ( so sed, awk, etc... )

-Chris

David Masover

And what are they? :)

Right now, it's mostly Javascript, mostly as part of a web app.

But anyone who does "AJAX" really should include at least that. Javascript is
a serious language. Among other things, it has prototypal inheritance, which I
kind of miss in Ruby.

Also: Erlang is cool, but I never really get to use it. Besides, the syntax
makes me want to kill myself, after Ruby.

Other languages I've tried include:

- PHP (ugh)
- Perl
- Python (I actually like the indentation!)
- C/C++
- QBasic

Other languages I sort of dabbled in:

- Haskell
- Common Lisp

Probably some I'm forgetting. Ruby is about the only one I fell in love with,
so much that I absolutely hate it -- especially the threading model (actors
are better!) and the inability to use multiple CPUs without actually forking
off an OS process.

James Britt

David said:
Right now, it's mostly Javascript, mostly as part of a web app.

Weird. I forgot all about JavaScript, but after Ruby that's almost
certainly the language I find myself using the most.

Odd sort of mental blind spot on that.

James

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

Mario Camou

Right now, mainly Scala. A bit of shell scripting too.
-Mario.

Elliott Cable

Milan said:
Do you program in any other language except for ruby? And what are they? :)

Ruby is my primary language, and the first one I ever learned in full,
but I have learnt quite a lot of other languages to some extent. I enjoy
learning them.

I really love Io (http://iolanguage.com/) and Objective-C (primarily for
developing in Apple’s Cocoa framework for OS X and the iPhone OS), and
am fully fluent in them as well. I’m passable in C, since there’s often
times in Ruby or ObjC where dropping into C is necessary/prudent (moreso
in Ruby than ObjC, of course).

I’m passably familiar and attempting to become more familiar with
JavaScript, as it’s an absolutely amazing language (very
under–appreciated IMVHO), but I seem to have a lot of trouble really
coming to grips with it like I have with other languages.

Though it’s not a programming language, it’s worth mentioning that I
consider myself to have completely mastered regular expressions; I use
them for absolutely everything, and am considering writing my own engine
(an open–source C/ObjC one that supports variable–width look–behinds,
goddamnit! Why are there so few that do, it is hard, sure, but it’s damn
near the most useful feature any engine could have!)

A straight–up list of the other languages I know, but don’t really care
about that much beyond when they’ve provided use to me: Perl,
sh/bash/zsh, Java, Lua, AppleScript, MIPS and x86 flavours of Assembler,
TI–BASIC (what else was I supposed to do in high school math classes?)
and probably a bunch of others I’ve forgotten.

That’s my problem, really. I have a horrible memory, and very quickly
forget anything I learn and don’t use continuously.

As for languages I’m interested in learning when I have the time—Erlang,
Mythryl (http://mythryl.org/), D, Haskell, Scala, Clojure/Common Lisp,
and so on. Anything that might give me a new perspective on programming.
Also, Python, to let me play with Django—I really miss web development,
but Rails is so horrible that it’s driven me leagues away and into
lower–level web–less stuff. I’m hoping Django will suck less.

Tony Arcieri

The only Turing complete languages I use with any degree of regularity are:
Erlang, JavaScript, C

Does regex count? Do languages which generate pushdown automata count? How
about languages I created myself?

Bill Kelly

And what are they? :)

At work, I use Ruby and C++ and occasionally Objective C.

Previously I've done projects in Python, Java, Perl, C, Forth, and various
assembly languages.

(Recently I began to learn a little about Haskell, Scheme, and Erlang,
but I barely got started before becoming side-tracked by other
hobbies.)

Regards,

Bill

Bertram Scharpf

Hi,

Am Montag, 20. Jul 2009, 11:06:55 +0900 schrieb Milan Dobrota:
And what are they? :)

C when I hack the Ruby interpreter and sometimes Vim-Script.

Particular problems afford particular languages.

Bertram

James Gray

Though it=92s not a programming language, it=92s worth mentioning that = I
consider myself to have completely mastered regular expressions; I use
them for absolutely everything=85

You and I are now friends. :)

James Edward Gray II=

Kyle Schmitt

I used to do a bit of c/c++, vb.net and perl and such, but now, it's
almost all ruby & shell script (usually bash).

I do still stick my head into Java C, javascript & PHP, mostly to see
how to use a library or help debug something, but almost never write
new code in it.

As a sysadmin most of what you write are short lived abuses of regular
expressions to find a problem, or long running simple scripts to solve
it.

--Kyle

Charles Oliver Nutter

And what are they? :)

Mostly Java...I write more Java than Ruby, but some weeks they're about equal.

Also hoping to eventually use Duby or Juby in day-to-day work, but
that would mean I have to get back to finishing them.

Played with Scala some. It's pretty nice, rich type system, all
that...but it's still rather more static than I like for quick-hit
programming. I'd like to bring Scala's performance to JRuby, possibly
by allowing type hints or somesuch. Or potentially learn from Scala to
make Duby a richer language.

- Charlie

rilindo foster

Besides Ruby, I do Perl as well, although whenever possible I go for
Python. Also worked with various unix shell scripts (bash, mostly) -
looking to (re)learn C as well as either Erlang or LISP. Scala is also
looking good, but I will have to poke around with java first. :|
Javascript is on the table as well, as I scale up on my Rails
knowledge.