    Mark Guest

    Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    dead browser?

    Mark, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Mark

    Halloway Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    > dead browser?

    I can't vouch for the accuracy of these stats but it looks as if there
    are still a very few users out there.

    I'd be interested to know if there are any users here who continue to
    use IE5, whether through choice or necessity.

    Halloway, Dec 15, 2007

  3. Mark

    Jim Moe Guest

    On 12/15/07 07:34 am, Mark wrote:
    > Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    > dead browser?

    There are so few IE5 users that it is not worth the effort to
    accommodate them. Our site stats do not even list IE5 any more; the usage
    is less than 0.01%.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Dec 15, 2007
  4. Mark

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:34:30 GMT
    Mark scribed:

    > Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    > dead browser?

    Earlier this month I quit addressing ie 6...

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Dec 15, 2007
  5. Mark

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    > dead browser?

    At work we have dropped more or less all testing with any version of MSIE.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Dec 15, 2007
  6. Mark

    Jim Carr Guest

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    >> dead browser?

    > At work we have dropped more or less all testing with any version of MSIE.

    Why? Is the usage really that low?

    For the sites I manage that draw from a crowd interested in something
    other than a software/hardware specific topic, IE6 and IE7 account for
    75% or more with IE6 being more popular. Firefox is about 15%.
    Mozilla/5x comes in around 7%. Everything else is less than 1%. I also
    do a lot of tracking of various ad campaigns on Craigslist, and I get
    virtually the same results.

    On the sites where the interest includes something computer related, IE7
    exceeds IE6, and Firefox sometimes breaks 20%. This is not surprising
    from an audience that is more technically oriented.

    To answer the OP, IE5 is off the radar as far as I am concerned.

    Jim Carr, Dec 16, 2007
  7. Mark wrote:
    > Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x, or do you consider it a
    > dead browser?

    I don't even have easy access to it anymore. FWIW, my logs are showing
    less than 0.1% activity from IE5; moreover, if I happen to notice IE5
    hits when looking for something in the raw logs, it always looks
    "spider-ish."

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Dec 17, 2007
  8. Mark

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x

    No.

    > or do you consider it a dead browser?

    Yes.

    That said, I do test in IE 6, and if it works in IE 6 then it *usually*
    works in IE 5.x.

    Nik Coughlin, Dec 17, 2007
  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > "Mark" <> wrote in message
    >> Do you guys still test your sites in IE 5.x

    > No.
    >
    >> or do you consider it a dead browser?

    > Yes.
    >
    > That said, I do test in IE 6, and if it works in IE 6 then it *usually*
    > works in IE 5.x.

    In my experience, most of the problems that are serious enough to
    warrant attention result from IE 5.x's non standard box model, so I'm in
    the habit of avoiding these problems by never putting explicit width or
    height on elements that have padding or borders. This can sometimes mean
    inserting extra markup, such as a child div to apply padding to rather
    than the parent, but I guess I'll no longer bother if IE 5.x is dead and
    buried.

    Mark, Dec 17, 2007