Do You Use Modes In Your Pages?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Matt Swift, May 21, 2004.

  1. Matt Swift

    Matt Swift Guest

    Hi,

    The way we currently work with our asp.net code is that we have, quite
    often, a lot of visual components that we'd previously have had to build
    over a number of pages, on one page. A page may use different combinations
    of components according on its 'mode' (the stage of functionality a user is
    at within their process). This means we usually deal with page 'modes' via
    a method of a property in the codebehind, and all is good. Sometimes it
    does feel like overkill, but it works well, and yeah it certainly feels
    elegant.

    Lately I've begun working with the UIPAB (User Interface Process Application
    Block). Now, changing mode, making certain components visible/unvisible,
    stuff like this, needs to be thought about differently. Our current
    approach does not seem to work that well with the block, as the new layer
    wants to deal with business code, and change the page mode, which is now in
    an upper layer, and we don't want to go talking directly to the visual
    components in the block controller (I know, I'm making little sense at this
    point but..) so this needs event modelling or new state useage to handle
    this stuff.

    So, what I'd like to know is, just how many developers out there use
    something similar to the 'mode' I described, and how many go with many
    different pages etc. The latter may be something we start going back
    towards in the future. I'd appreciate your thoughts, and please, don't
    grill my ass if I made little sense, it's early here and I am drinking very
    potent coffee. Thankyou.

    --
    Matt Swift

    Matt Swift, May 21, 2004