Doc Management and Mailing List Component recommendations

darrel

I've asked this in the past with a few responses, but thought I'd as one
more time ;o)

As we polish up our in-house CMS tool, there's two components that we're
missing yet that we can either build ourselves, or possibly find an
off-the-shelf component/piece of software to handle.

The first is document management. We need something more than MS's indexing
services, but nothing as robust as Sharepoint.

The basic needs are:
- ability for people to upload a document and assign meta data to it
- have that document link stored in a DB
- the ability to link to that document's reference

So both a way to upload documents and a way to manage lists of these
documents.

Right now, we can easily write the first part...allow people to upload a
document and have it stored in a DB. The harder part seems to be maintining
link integrity. Right now, we manually link to the document (possibly on a
number of pages) and if that document is ever deleted or renamed, the link
dies.

The second is some sort of list-serv/mailing list system. Ideally, we'd
allow people to sign up for a variety of lists on our web site and then
allow us to send emails directly to that group, or tie it into our CMS so
that when specific pages are updated, they can trigger a message being sent
to certain groups. The subscriber should be able to log-in to manage their
own lists.

Any suggestions for products to look at?

-Darrel