    html version for example should I take.

    I make my sites with DW4 by the way.

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Jan 3, 2004

  2. some dude somewhere

    Cameron Guest

    some dude somewhere wrote:

    > There are a few sites around that show the different types of DOCTYPES for
    > html sites and stuff. But I don't seem to find anywhere which doctype to
    > choose when I made a html website.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me or point me to something that tells me when I made a
    > website which code for the DOCTYPE to choose.
    >
    > The difference between frameset and the other one is ... obvious but which
    > html version for example should I take.
    >
    > I make my sites with DW4 by the way.
    >
    > Eric

    Uhm, you should choose which document type you are going to use before
    you write the pages, and use the appropriate Document Type Definition
    (DTD), so the one you want is dependent on what you have written your
    page(s) in, HTML4, XHTML 1.0 etc...

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 3, 2004

  3. In article <CFyJb.150696$>, ericthomas1967
    @hotmail.com says...
    > There are a few sites around that show the different types of DOCTYPES for
    > html sites and stuff. But I don't seem to find anywhere which doctype to
    > choose when I made a html website.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me or point me to something that tells me when I made a
    > website which code for the DOCTYPE to choose.
    >
    > The difference between frameset and the other one is ... obvious but which
    > html version for example should I take.

    Pick one (probably best to start with a Transitional) and then fix your
    site so that it validates against it.

    > I make my sites with DW4 by the way.

    Well, you may have to do lots of fixing.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 3, 2004
  4. While the city slept, some dude somewhere <>
    feverishly typed:

    [doctypes]

    As per the other answers received.

    > I make my sites with DW4 by the way.

    If you pop over to the Macromedia website, you can download a DW extension
    to automatically add doctypes. Very useful.

    Hope that helps,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 3, 2004
  5. some dude somewhere

    picayunish Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <CFyJb.150696$>, says...
    >>
    >>I make my sites with DW4 by the way.

    > Well, you may have to do lots of fixing.

    Not necessary, if you have DW in code view and coding by hand.
    Then you don't have to fix the code alot, compared with FP. :-D
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    picayunish, Jan 3, 2004
  6. some dude somewhere

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:CFyJb.150696$>

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.2

    --
    brucie
    03/January/2004 11:12:53 pm kilo

    brucie, Jan 3, 2004
  7. some dude somewhere

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "some dude somewhere" <> wrote in

    > There are a few sites around that show the different types of DOCTYPES
    > for html sites and stuff. But I don't seem to find anywhere which
    > doctype to choose when I made a html website.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me or point me to something that tells me when I made
    > a website which code for the DOCTYPE to choose.
    >
    > The difference between frameset and the other one is ... obvious but
    > which html version for example should I take.
    >
    > I make my sites with DW4 by the way.

    A very useful (boring but useful) thing to do is take some time to read
    various HTML specifications. Besides learning a lot in general, you'll
    be able to answer your question. :) But you might not have the time or
    wherewithall to do that right now, which makes sense because they are
    long.

    You will probably be choosing between HTML 4.01 Strict and HTML 4.01
    Transitional, unless you are using XHTML. Documents which conform to the
    HTML 4.01 Strict specifications follow a tighter set of rules than those
    which conform to HTML 4.01 Transitional. If your web pages include some
    "deprecated" elements such as FONT or other various presentational
    attributes, you would want to use HTML 4.01 Transitional. The HTML 4.01
    specification, available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/>, tells which
    attributes are deprecated and which aren't. There is also (somewhere out
    there on the Internet) a nifty HTML reference sidebar for Mozilla which
    does the same in a more concise fashion.

    You can see whether your page conforms to the Strict or Transitional
    specifications by putting one of the respective doctype declarations on
    top of your documents and validating them at an HTML validator. The most
    well-known one is <http://validator.w3.org/>, but I recommend
    <http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>, because the htmlhelp.com
    version is less of a git about errors.

    You could get further help and explanation on which doctype to choose by
    supplying your site's URL to this newsgroup.

    Sam Hughes, Jan 3, 2004