    Those who do not understand Unix
    are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    -- Henry Spencer, 1987.
    Lasse Kliemann, Jun 17, 2006

  2. Lasse Kliemann

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Lasse Kliemann wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > what is the correct way to mark a variable using Docbook? I do not mean
    > the name of a variable from some program code. There is <varname> for
    > this. I mean something like:
    >
    > Let n be the number of files. ...
    >
    > I'd like to mark the 'n' somehow. In LaTeX one would do $n$.

    If your document is going to be converted to LaTeX for typesetting,
    then <varname lang="TeX">n</varname> should be enough for a stylesheet
    to pick it up and turn it into \(n\) or $n$, and the description of
    it as a variable seems adequate. But you could also turn on MathML
    in DocBook and then I believe use <inlineequation>, although it is
    probably too cumbersom for a simple reference to a single variable.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Jun 19, 2006