Docbook: marking variables

Lasse Kliemann

Greetings,

what is the correct way to mark a variable using Docbook? I do not mean
the name of a variable from some program code. There is <varname> for
this. I mean something like:

Let n be the number of files. ...

I'd like to mark the 'n' somehow. In LaTeX one would do $n$.

Thanks!

Lasse

Peter Flynn

Lasse said:
Greetings,

what is the correct way to mark a variable using Docbook? I do not mean
the name of a variable from some program code. There is <varname> for
this. I mean something like:

Let n be the number of files. ...

I'd like to mark the 'n' somehow. In LaTeX one would do $n$.

If your document is going to be converted to LaTeX for typesetting,
then <varname lang="TeX">n</varname> should be enough for a stylesheet
to pick it up and turn it into \(n\) or $n$, and the description of
it as a variable seems adequate. But you could also turn on MathML
in DocBook and then I believe use <inlineequation>, although it is
probably too cumbersom for a simple reference to a single variable.

///Peter