docbook to word?

Michiel Kamermans

Hi,

I've been trying to find a free docbook to word converter, because final
visual styling of my book is a lot easier in a wysiwyg editor than by
writing a lot of XSLT, but seem to only run across converters for the other
way round...

Does anyone know of a free utility that converts docbook XML back to a
format that lets word processor programs work with it? (I know open office
can import docbooks with some tweaking, but it's not an ideal solution,
I're rather work with a file that's been turned into a native word
processor format)

Michiel Kamermans
www.nihongoresources.com

Michael Wiedmann

Michiel said:
Does anyone know of a free utility that converts docbook XML back to a
format that lets word processor programs work with it? (I know open office
can import docbooks with some tweaking, but it's not an ideal solution,
I're rather work with a file that's been turned into a native word
processor format)

One solution would be to use the DSSSL stylesheets
(see http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook) to generate RTF out of
your DocBook files and impoort them into your word processor. Expect that
you have to spend quite a bit of time to costumize the stylesheets to get
the output look like you want :-(

Michael

Tjerk Wolterink

Michiel said:
Hi,

I've been trying to find a free docbook to word converter, because final
visual styling of my book is a lot easier in a wysiwyg editor than by
writing a lot of XSLT, but seem to only run across converters for the other
way round...
[snip]
Michiel Kamermans
www.nihongoresources.com

A lot of XSL??

I find xsl much more usefull than wysiwyg editors.

Michiel Kamermans

A lot of XSL??
I find xsl much more usefull than wysiwyg editors.

To each his own. I like to see what I'm doing while I'm doing it, rather
than testing it a lot (as I would be likely to do) whenever I change
something small, so being able to send the finished DocBook XML to a word
processor for finalisation has my preference.

Michiel

Steve Ball

The DocBook XSL project (http://docbook.sf.net/) has exactly what you
want - an XSL stylesheet that converts DocBook into WordML. The
project also happens to have the reverse as well; XSL stylesheets that
convert WordML into DocBook.

You may need to look in the CVS repository to find the stylesheet(s);
I'm currently working towards having them included in the distribution.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

Peter Flynn

Michiel said:
Hi,

I've been trying to find a free docbook to word converter, because final
visual styling of my book is a lot easier in a wysiwyg editor than by
writing a lot of XSLT, but seem to only run across converters for the
other way round...

Do a transformation to HTML and open the HTML files in Word.
Or transform to OpenOffice XML format, open in OO and Save As Word.
Or open the documents in Word XML direct (needs Schema, not DTD).

///Peter