    processor format)

    Michiel Kamermans
    www.nihongoresources.com

    Michiel Kamermans, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Michiel Kamermans wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a free utility that converts docbook XML back to a
    > format that lets word processor programs work with it? (I know open office
    > can import docbooks with some tweaking, but it's not an ideal solution,
    > I're rather work with a file that's been turned into a native word
    > processor format)

    One solution would be to use the DSSSL stylesheets
    (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook) to generate RTF out of
    your DocBook files and impoort them into your word processor. Expect that
    you have to spend quite a bit of time to costumize the stylesheets to get
    the output look like you want :-(

    Michael

    Michael Wiedmann, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Michiel Kamermans wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to find a free docbook to word converter, because final
    > visual styling of my book is a lot easier in a wysiwyg editor than by
    > writing a lot of XSLT, but seem to only run across converters for the other
    > way round...
    > [snip]
    > Michiel Kamermans
    > www.nihongoresources.com

    A lot of XSL??

    I find xsl much more usefull than wysiwyg editors.

    Tjerk Wolterink, Sep 10, 2005
  4. > A lot of XSL??

    > I find xsl much more usefull than wysiwyg editors.

    To each his own. I like to see what I'm doing while I'm doing it, rather
    than testing it a lot (as I would be likely to do) whenever I change
    something small, so being able to send the finished DocBook XML to a word
    processor for finalisation has my preference.

    Michiel

    Michiel Kamermans, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Michiel Kamermans

    Steve Ball Guest

    The DocBook XSL project (http://docbook.sf.net/) has exactly what you
    want - an XSL stylesheet that converts DocBook into WordML. The
    project also happens to have the reverse as well; XSL stylesheets that
    convert WordML into DocBook.

    You may need to look in the CVS repository to find the stylesheet(s);
    I'm currently working towards having them included in the distribution.

    HTHs,
    Steve Ball

    Steve Ball, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Michiel Kamermans

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Michiel Kamermans wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying to find a free docbook to word converter, because final
    > visual styling of my book is a lot easier in a wysiwyg editor than by
    > writing a lot of XSLT, but seem to only run across converters for the
    > other way round...

    Do a transformation to HTML and open the HTML files in Word.
    Or transform to OpenOffice XML format, open in OO and Save As Word.
    Or open the documents in Word XML direct (needs Schema, not DTD).

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Sep 13, 2005